Mayflower trust???

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 18 July 2007 10.09am
What is it about Councillor Stanton and his loony Mayflower project? What's the point? More specifically what has Harvard University and Michigan got to do with today's Southwark and why did we need to send some 10 Councillors and Officers on a totally unnecessary one week jolly to America to open a pub?

I was amazed to see “Our Leader” promoting himself in this week's Website (draped in the American flag) and that he's off AGAIN to the USA, this time with a couple of young winners of a Harvard competition. He'll probably be travelling first class again at our expense for a week or so. Nice life!

Why waste our money giving Stanton another freebee for him to suck up yet again to Harvard University when the money can be better spent on real issues facing Southwark?

Who knows what his last junket to the States cost us for the air fares and first class accommodation of 10 people for a week? You can bet they all flew First or Business Class and I reckon there wouldn't have been much change out of 60,000 at around 6,000 per person.

If the Council can spend 60,000 on such silly stuff as Stanton's bizarre Mayflower / Harvard fantasies let's spend the same amount on something useful that people really care about
Wednesday 18 July 2007 10.28am
Why 10 councillors and officers? the winners okay..him okay....they will say it's a fact finding trip on how to increase council tax!
Wednesday 18 July 2007 7.03pm
Forgive my ignorance, but what does the Mayflower have to do with Southwark, anyway? The Pilgrim Fathers mainly came from Nottinghamshire. Or is this to do with Mayflower II? In which case, all the less reason for the expensive jolly.
Wednesday 1 August 2007 10.08pm
You might be interested to know that Councillor Stanton asked the Unicorn Theatre and HMS Belfast to accompany him on his trip to America at a cost of 10,000 each to include First Class Air travel. Neither organisation accepted his invitation
Wednesday 22 August 2007 6.29pm
Why can't I get the image of Nicholas Stanton draped in the American flag out of my head? Who does this idiot think he is, George Bush?

Has Southwark become Councillor Stanton's private Manor? Rights to all the young wives? A turkey at Christmas? How can anyone justify spending 10,000 per head taking his selected group of 10 for a one week jolly to open a pub in America? I make that 100,000 of our money. And he's been back to the USA again at our expense with winners of the Harvard competition just a few weeks ago. Why do we let him get away with feeding his absolutely irrelevant interest in the Mayflower and Harvard University? Surely he could have delegated his last trip to someone else, or does he think he's the only one to benefit from these kinds of perks?

Let's spend 100,000 on a Southwark hero that real people can really get behind. Let's send 200 kids at 500 each to watch Rio Ferdinand play for England in Croatia in October! Total cost 100,000 - Benefit to community 200 inspired kids.

Let Stanton use his own money for his own potty fantasies!
Friday 24 August 2007 10.25am
>Benefit to community: 200 inspired kids.

Really? I doubt it. Inspired to do what - become councillors to go off on free junkets?

Better still, knock 1 off our Council tax.
Friday 12 October 2007 5.04pm
Who do these politicians think they are? 100,000 is a lot of money to most people in Southwark yet all people like Stanton do is treat the place as their own personal bank to pay for any soppy idea that comes into their inflated heads. I think it's disgusting.
Friday 19 October 2007 2.40pm
For 100,000 we could fill the E&C subways and the GLA building with scrumpy, and give the whole of Southwark a straw.

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: