Traffic noise in Grange Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 18 July 2007 6.23pm
Hi Everybody,

I am living in Grange Road close to Page's Walk and I have noticed that the road traffic is quite heavy on Grange road, having implications also on an acoustic point of view.

Does anybody know if any study has been undertaken to check if the noise level is within the council limits (if there are any)?

Any comments, suggestion?

Thank you!
Wednesday 18 July 2007 6.57pm
Grange Road is a fairly main road with a couple of bus routes, one of which runs 24/7 (Number 1). It doesn't, therefore, surprise me that there is a problem with road noise.

From my experience living on Baker St., have you considered installing secondary glazing? At the very least, see how much noise is coming through or around the gaps in the windows and try to have these plugged up. Old fashioned sash windows never tend to fit very well and once I had these re-calibrated it made a vast improvement.

If you have a front garden, consider whether you could increase the level of vegetation to absorb some of the noise.

Finally, consider how you configure the house. For sleeping, you ideally want to be towards the rear of the house, although I know traditionally the largest rooms are at the front.

This link might also be useful:

I hope the noise doesn't detract from this fabulous part of London...welcome to the forum!
Wednesday 18 July 2007 7.46pm
Thank you Carmenes for your reply and suggestions!

The noise will not detract me from here, I just would like to help to improve living standard in the neighborhood.

I think the main two improvements to reduce sheer traffic noise are
quieter road surfaces and lower speed limits.

Does anybody have any news on any of these related to Grange road?
Wednesday 18 July 2007 7.49pm
This thread may be of interest:
Wednesday 18 July 2007 8.03pm
Lower speed limits? It is a 20mph road now!
Thursday 19 July 2007 9.23am
yes, here's hoping the latest speed restrictions help with the noise. unfortunately, there are still plenty of maniacs who speed up and down Grange Rd without any care. i did notice some men in yellow jackets have laid down two long wires across the road (near the new amisha apartments i think) - are these for measuring traffic volume or something ?
Thursday 19 July 2007 10.37am
Having lived on Grange Road for some years - and just moved out last month having sold (I suspect to you, OP, if so I trust you have settled in well) - the noise never bothered me. I slept at the front of the house with the windows open eleven months of the year. You'll get used to it very quickly... just relax about it and it'll worry you less.

I don't think that Councils can have limits on road noise levels. It is, after all, a public highway and I doubt that traffic level and concomitant noise is any business of the Council. It is also a 'blue route' so used by emergency vehicles; Grange Road is a very main road within the borough. It's also pretty quiet at night.

So far as the speed limit is concerned, it was recently reduced to 20mph, so short of pedestrianising the road I think you're stuck with it... They were doing to be introducing speed humps, I don't know what happened to that plan. I wrote making vigorous objections on the grounds that a bus changing down gear to slow to 10mph and going over the bump makes much more noise than a bus whizzing past at 30mph.

Various utility companies dig the road up at regular intervals which gives noisy 'lumps' and 'bumps'; even if it were resurfaced that wouldn't last very long.

Assuming you are who I think you are, you do have double glazed sash windows. You could get Ventrolla in to 'sound proof' the double glazing. By fitting brushes around the windows sound insulation is much improved. I believe it would be about 800 a window for their entire system which allows you take the windows out easily for cleaning the outsides. provide a similar product for the sound insulation part for about 100 per window which you can get a carpenter to fit (or do it yourself if you are handy with a router).

And then you can get secondary glazing. I've seen people fit triple-glazed secondary glazing. It's not very attractive, but you could have a disco and the neighbours wouldn't hear.

A company called storm windows do very elegant and discrete double glazing.
Thursday 19 July 2007 12.15pm
I agree that you get used to traffic noise very quickly. I live right near Dockhead fire station, and they rarely wake me up when they rush off in the night, even though they are really noisy vehicles, and they whoop their siren at least once, right outside our flat. There's also noise from Jamaica Road, which again I have just got used to. When I was a student in halls, my bedroom faced the back of shops which got deliveries every morning, with the concomitant reverse gear beeps that lorries have. I stopped being woken up by those after a couple of weeks.

Also, they're doing some kind of works on Grange Road at the moment, which is slowing up the traffic - once that's finished, it should hopefully get a bit better.
Thursday 19 July 2007 11.06pm
Thank you all again for the useful feedbacks.

I have not seen any signs for the 20 mph speed limit on the way from Tower Bridge Road. Is the speed limit affecting all of Grange Road?

Anyway, it doesn't look like the limit is really respected. Do you know if there are any enforcing means such as speed cameras, planned to be installed?
Friday 20 July 2007 7.59am
It is 20mph up to Spa Road.

It is a main road and as such I quite strongly feel that 20mph is too slow a speed limit (prepares to get shot down in flames). You create dangerous driving as people are looking at the speedometer rather than through their windscreen.

Funny how the limit returns to 30mph as you go round the corner past Spa Road where there are two schools.

If you want ot live on a quiet street central London is possibly not the best place to pick.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: