Development on Nursery Row Park SE17

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 19 July 2007 4.36pm
[Note from JH - split from ongoing Potters Fields thread for clarity]

Very interesting thread, thanks all.

I would like appeal to the SE1 forum for advice - I am currently trying to work out what I can do, if anything, to challenge a forthcoming planning application for housing on a park, and I know this has been a hot topic here. This follows a designation in the newly-adopted (and thus too late to object now) Southwark Plan which classifies part of the edges of Nursery Row Park (sorry, SE17 but not far from O/NKR) as suitable for housing (6-8 units). The plan inspector over-ruled other people's objections to this classification at the time (three years ago or so I think), and the plans as shown by an E&C regeneration roadshow show that access to the park will be restricted by the new houses to a narrow alley, and that 6+ 25 year old Plane trees will be cut down.

Everything in the rest of the Southwark Plan suggests that development in any open space is completely contrary to policy. And oddly the council has just spent what is probably a lot of money refurbishing the park (working since January, and still going) including building a very nice pair of "gateway" entrances to the park on exactly the places where they propose to build the new houses - and get tetchy when asked about this, saying the park improvement work should be seen as "temporary".

Adjacent to the development is the Stead Street carpark on which 250-300 units are planned, and to which I have no objection at all. But I can't see why the park needs to be built on too. It does only represent a small proportion of the overall area of the park, but it will hide it from the surrounding roads and I think make it less attractive and secure as well as the loss of the trees. And 6 units from a total of 250-300 seems fairly minor in relation to the likely impact on the park.

My lines of attack are discussing with councillors, TPOs and perhaps MP. Does anyone have any advice beyond what has been posted above on a sensible strategy?
Wednesday 25 July 2007 4.31pm
i agree with you tottally. the council and their cronies do not give a damn about the local communities and their needs . they have all been programmed to destroy everything in their path to create yet more high rise housing in this area. the nursery row park ,the stead street car parks will bring the long established east street market to its knees, it will be a slow death to lacal shops , businesses and the stall holders ,( this is already happening to traders in elephant&castle and in walworth road ) as there will be nowhere to park, load and unloading restrictions everywhere. local people are being deprived of local needs. the council are even trying to destroy ( site 2 ) the last remaining 4 small local shops on rodney road for the new replacement housing ,there are absolutely no other local shops on this long road . they call this regeneration ?? who is going to afford the high rents and service charges in the new redeveloped elephant&castle shopping centre ?? well you guessed it !,tesco, next, argos and the rest of the big chain stores .welcome to the cloning of the high streets and shopping centres !! it makes you wonder if these local councillore do really represent the locall peoples ??

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: