Buying wine in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Monday 23 July 2007 1.18pm
I've been to WW and also the place in the arches in Bermondsey St.

WW is great and the owner very friendly and helpful. he helped me buy a great bottle of Red for around 6. Just tell him your budget and a rough description of what you are looking for and he'll make some suggestions - came up trumps for me.

As for the place under the arches, as far as I can tell they largely sell to the trade, as in restaurants. But I found it open one Friday around 6ish. I went in and bought a bottle of wine which I was told is usually sold by the case to restaurants. It was 3 without a label and was really good. They also have loads of stuff you can try in there.
Monday 23 July 2007 4.42pm
I just spoke to a friend of mine last week who, with a colleague, are going to set up shop in the Bermondsey Street/Tower Bridge Road area. Have a look at their on-line slection at:

www.sixwineseight.com

They are worth contacting as they plan to have some taster evenings before the forthcoming launch. Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Glenn
Monday 23 July 2007 6.28pm
Thanks for this thread! I'm another fan of Majestic at Vinopolis (I don't drive but I do have a shopping trolley which is ideal for taking wine 6 bottles at a time) and I only noticed the existence of Waterloo Wines very recently while passing on the bus. I'm glad it's so good, I'll definitely try it!
Tuesday 24 July 2007 1.27pm
Pont Wine Shop is my cellar of choice and I have enjoyed many an impassioned recommendation from their staff. They also do elegant gift wrapping if you are gifting wine which is a nice touch - so elegant I confess to many incidence of self gifting...

Pont do regular wine tastings which are generally 10 a pop and refundable against purchases on the night. If you would like to go on their mailing list then email eleanors@danddlondon.com

My other favourite is Bedales in Borough Market for a fabulous basement cellar and the fact that if you cannot wait to get home you can pay 5 corkage and enjoy your purchase in their ground floor wine bar or on their patio with or without delicious market fresh deli plate.
Monday 30 July 2007 2.50pm
I second Bedales if you want interesting, unusual and old wines.

They also stock something called 'Bermondsey Gin' made to an old gin recipe and distilled in London's last distillery.
Friday 10 July 2009 10.22am
Can you only buy wine from WW by the case? The website seems to imply so, but isn't clear.
Friday 10 July 2009 10.53am
WW is happy to sell by the bottle if you go there.
Friday 10 July 2009 11.02am
Excellent tip, thank you.

Apologies if further postings become a little slurred as I enjoy this new found SE1-delight!
Friday 10 July 2009 11.26am
The Mapmaker wrote:

They also stock something called 'Bermondsey Gin' made to an old gin recipe and distilled in London's last distillery.

That's Jensen's Gin. Real nice, but it doesn't seem available any more?

The distillery is/was on Bermondsey Street.

www.bermondseygin.com
Friday 10 July 2009 10.34pm
Jonathan K wrote:
The Mapmaker wrote:

That's Jensen's Gin. Real nice, but it doesn't seem available any more?

The distillery is/was on Bermondsey Street.

www.bermondseygin.com

Gin is my favourite tipple and Jensen's Bermondsey Gin is a lovely drop of Mother's Ruin. I was given a bottle as a Christmas present and you can buy it from Bedales, 5 Bedale Street but it cost 25 a bottle. I'm putting on my Christmas list this year. Hic!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network