Southwark Traffic Planning

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 24 July 2007 10.49am
I have commented a few times on my frustration with the quality of service we receive from our council, TFL and mayor on making the streets safer and more efficient. The traffic departments appear to only have political appointees who know or care little about getting out of their nice comfy offices with all of the associated perks and seeing to their responsibilities.

I can use one street, Grange Road, as an example of the worrying aspects of the lack of knowledge of these individuals.

At the moment it has been re designated a 20mph zone, but only in the area most congested and without complications. The area of Grange Road with two schools, a playground and a medical centre has a 30 mph limit! http://www.flickr.com/photos/streetlight/865120034/

There is a traffic refuge east of Crimscott Street junction with no discernable use apart from being the site of some serious accidents in the past as it is invisible when unlit (often vandalised so often unlit). It is yards from a safer pelican crossing point.

There is a bus lane unused by one of the two bus routes serving the street. In fact the bus lane causes a hold up to the buses turning right because of the extra congestion. This bus lane operates 6 days a week at all hours!

The position of bus stops is odd with three stops going East within 200 yards of each other.

All in all a very badly managed road. You can all add details of other areas you think require looking into. Someone will almost certainly mention the Dover Street/Long Lane/Borough High Street joke of a junction which will eventually cause a death from a road rage incident if it is not looked into.

Please try and keep this thread "on topic" so it can be sent on to the various traffic management agencies. Thanks.
Tuesday 24 July 2007 3.11pm
Dear Jerry,
Thank you for your note. Unfortunately I have to agree on your comment on Grange road.

There are workroads now carried out but I am not sure on the improvements they will bring.

I think the main point is that the road layout and current commercial traffic is incompatible with the daily activities (schools, shops, residents) happening in the neighborhood. I mean that the road is used as a main road while it should not be.

The preferable option would be probably to restrict access to it, since I see really unlikley traffic improvements coming from layout changes.

Please let me know your ideas!
Wednesday 1 August 2007 5.58pm
Grange Road is a good example of our various authorities' incompetnece in the area of road management: Tiny cul de sacs are 30mph, yet parts of Grange Road 20mph; the nonsense of the bus lane at the lights; the recent half completed road works (by the printers); the start of the next batch (Pages Walk) - both now abandoned; frustratingly short green lights; creation of a brich pavement (nice, but no doubt about to be ruined when the old petrol station is developed ...). Duplication, expense, lack of strategy, no consultation, - is no one in charge or answerable?
Wednesday 1 August 2007 6.10pm
newresident wrote:
The preferable option would be probably to restrict access to it, since I see really unlikley traffic improvements coming from layout changes.

Grange Road is an 'A' road so restricting access would be inappropriate imho.

I think there are two main issues that need looking at: (i) the ludicrous arrangements of speed limits (clearly outside the school, nursery and park should be the lower of the two) and (ii) the bus lane at the junction with TBR which just appears to clog up the traffic more than anything else. With regard to (i), I understand that Southwark wants to have a blanket 20mph limit in the Borough so perhaps we are seeing a phasing in of this (even if it has been done in the wrong spots)?
Friday 3 August 2007 11.44am
I quite agree with these comments - I could add many more of my own. I suggest you send e-mails to whatever department you can find on their website, and (importantly) also send a copy to your councillors (whose e-mails are also available on the website). Then, if you get no reply, chase the councillor!
Friday 3 August 2007 1.05pm
The switch from Zebra crossings to Pelican crossings doesnt help either

Pelican crossings are sow slow to react to the pedestrian button that by the time the lights change the road has been crossed and there is noone waiting.

Personally both as a motorist and as a pedestrian I prefer Zebra crossings
Friday 3 August 2007 3.29pm
Just try to use the zebra crossing between Long Lane and Bermondsey Street and you'll see how easy it is to be killed by a speedy car. Probably Pelicans aren't the final solution but at least add an extra warning. In some specific streets (i.e. Long Lane), traffic behaves as in a F1 race and although I already sent a warning to Southwark's council in order to act (Pelican crossings instead), no response was issued by them: New (I think) 20mph zone on Grange Road
Saturday 4 August 2007 9.09am
What about putting your life in your own hands trying to cross at the crossroads where Borough High St, Great Dover St and Marshalsea Rd meet. I'm specifically talking about the crossing from just outside the St George Church across Borough High St. This is the only side with NO pelican crossing. You can not see the road traffic lights looking left either (they are masked for turning traffic) to judge when to cross. You literally have to either work out the flow of traffic or just launch yourself across in 'Frogger' style hoping that the bank of Motorbikes and bikes do mow you down when unbeknown to you te lights change! Scary!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: