Broadband Options in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 1 September 2003 9.16pm
Hi all,

Just about to order broadband from BT, just wondered if there was anyone else I should consider before I do so.

Only need it for myself at home, so 500kbps at 29.99 pcm doesn't seem to bad....

Used to be on NTL cable where I was before, but it doesn't appear to be available here - quite a remote location I suppose :)

Cheers,

Sam
Monday 1 September 2003 9.20pm
I'd recommend checking out some of the other ADSL providers apart from BT - they can be cheaper and provide better service, even though they are ultimately reselling a BT product.

For example, we use Demon Express Solo - a self-install service - which is 24.99 a month, and there are several cheaper than that.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk is a good site for research

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 2 September 2003 7.40am
James, as far as NTL (or any other provider) is concerned, do you know what is the prospect of our end of SE1 (Hopton St), being cabled up?
Tuesday 2 September 2003 7.47am
I'm surprised it's not already cabled, but perhaps Hopton Street didn't have a big enough residential population back when the cabling was done?

We're only a few streets away from Hopton Street and we're in an NTL cabled area, though cable broadband isn't available.

I don't believe that any of the cable companies are doing much to increase their coverage areas - they're all broke and it's too expensive.

Tuesday 2 September 2003 8.05am
Sam, do check out other providers as some are cheaper and just as good. I use Virgin.net, which is 24.99 per month, and you're not tied in to a 6 or 12 month contract if you decide you wish to change. It connects at 576kbps.
Tuesday 2 September 2003 8.48am
Sam, as the others have said, definately look around. Our personal experience of BT is that they have an appalling technical support line, the people on there don't seem to have a clue about anything and there seemed to be more down time as well.
Tuesday 2 September 2003 9.39am
Pipex's customer service is not as dreadful as it used to be but still none too brilliant. However it is 23.44 per month for the 576 service and you're not tied for 12 months.
Tuesday 2 September 2003 9.57am
Thanks for your help people.

I'll check out the Virgin one I think. Not a big fan of BT really, I'll have a look at the Demon and Pipex ones too.

Thanks again,

Sam
Tuesday 2 September 2003 10.05am
Last time I looked Virgin.net only offer a single-user service with a USB modem. If at all possible I'd advise you to go for an Ethernet router option, even if you're only connecting one computer.

Tuesday 2 September 2003 10.48am
Another good one to try is Eclipse (eclipse.net.uk). Their connection's reliable, they're on hand to offer technical support, and you have a number of packages you can go for. Their 500 ADSL lite package is 23.95 per month. They're who I use, and I can't fault them.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: