Crampton St.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 31 July 2007 3.32pm
While meeting Mr. Oakmayne, I was treated to a tour of the Crampton St. development which is within a whisker of being finished. I must say lovely quality, only a few flats left, but Oakmayne's workmanship is very good and the design is excellent. Excellent kitchens, really good windows etc. Worth looking at the new Oakmayne flats if this is representative of their stuff.
Tuesday 31 July 2007 4.39pm
Glad you like it. We are very pleased with it all as well and look forward to living there. It has also come in on time and we have been given a move in date for end of Sept. Just 2 weeks later than we were told when we bought which much be something of a record. This all bodes well for Oakmayne Plaza both on build and design as well as completion date.
Tuesday 31 July 2007 10.26pm
I went to the open day of the shared ownership portion of the scheme, and things did seem well put together.
Wednesday 1 August 2007 8.07am
this is the building that blocked my once dramatic urban view (including the lovely pullens) so i confess i was predisposed to be very critical of it, especially since i now have to look at it every day!

it's very unremitting on the skyline. this is my key criticism. the sheer length of the building makes it nastily bulky and intrusive. i don't mind nine storeys (honest) but those nine storeys don't present themselves elegantly and the resulting slab looks brutish in front of its fine-boned victorian neighbours. the balconies look like they've been ordered as a flat pack from MFI (and they have much thicker surrounds than in all the glitzy publicity images). some of the veneered cladding on the gable ends is similarly flimsy-looking. the way the penthouse storey steps down is poorly done (roof crashes into balustrade). i visited the show flat at christmas time and it did look quite robust but the kitchen was tiny. to buy my view back i was looking at an extra 100k for less space (but i would have gained a balcony which i would love.) it's OK, very average, could-be-anywhere architecture. i'm prepared to bet it isn't eco-anything which is a bit of a crime these days.

i think we should expect a lot more from the elephant regen housing. o central is not awful, but i disagree that it 'bodes well' for oakmayne and the elephant's future. believe me, it's possible to do much better than that, and we absolutely must demand it.
Wednesday 1 August 2007 8.16am
Proof of the pudding will be how well it stands up after a few years, I also expressed concern about the laminated cladding....Yes the kitchens are tiny and indeed the FLATS are tiny, relative to what was built years ago. Developers these days cram three flats into the space where there would have been two. And one thing is certain, none of them would suit a family. There's a lot fo "young executive" building, but if we want a vibrant community there has to be family housing.
Wednesday 1 August 2007 4.22pm
In the shared ownership portion, the two bedroom flats have a rather silly attempt at a kitchen/diner/living space. Plenty big enough as a kitchen and space for dining, but a sofa crammed into a corner does not make a living space!

However the 3 bedroom flats have 2 quite large bedrooms and one smaller one, and quite a big kitchen/diner and living space. Came across to me as being ideal for a young family - it's a shame there isn't more of this.
Saturday 18 August 2007 9.19am
What's the address of the development called?

I've heard it referred to as O-Central, Flamingo Court and Oyster Court.. - are the individual blocks split into separate names?
Saturday 18 August 2007 4.25pm
I think O Central is the large, open market block, Oyster Court is the shared ownership block and Flamingo Court must be the housing association/rental block.
Sunday 19 August 2007 4.21pm
Jackie,

Do you know if Oakmayne are now planning to cut back on the capital spend on Oakmayne Plaza now that a large part of the scheme is designated as student digs? The temptation must be there! and do we know how many hotel operators Oakmayne pitched this scheme to? I still dont believe that a mid range hotel chain could not have been tempted to an area that is in Zone 1 and outside the congestion charge!
Sunday 19 August 2007 7.44pm
I've asked the grand fromage for a comment and will post.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: