Watching rugby

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 1 August 2007 9.15am
I am looking for a pub to watch the Rugby in, on Saturday 4th August.
I am going to the Globe theatre after so as near to there as poss!
Would be grateful for any suggestions as I do not have a clue.
Thanks very much
Wednesday 1 August 2007 9.24am
I take it you mean: 07:30 Setanta Sports 1 Titans v West Tigers NRL

It's the only rugby I can find on TV on Sat. Not sure if there's a pub open that early around here which subscribes to Setanta. Let us know if you find one, as I'm keen to keep up with the NRL since they took it off Sky.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 1 August 2007 10.06am
You really missed that Sky are showing the England V Wales international on Saturday or are you making a point here? I think I can guess...

Anyway - I would be tempted to stay away from the crowds on the southbank (not all pubs along there will show the game anyway) and watch the match in a slightly more relaxed atmosphere. The Stamford Arms on Stamford Street is not too far away, will be open and should definitely have the game on.
Wednesday 1 August 2007 11.02am
Ah. I think I understand. You don't mean "rugby", you mean "rugby union".

Can't be sure of being able to help you there, I'm afraid, but perhaps you'll have some luck if you choose a nice residential area a little in advance of kick-off, look out for someone with a pair of yellow or burgundy cords, a square jaw, and a lovably floppy fringe, and follow them?

Wednesday 1 August 2007 1.22pm
now now ivanhoe....rugby is rugby and rugby league is....ummm....different
Wednesday 1 August 2007 1.42pm
Oik!
Wednesday 1 August 2007 3.45pm
No Paul. Rugby is an umbrella term covering two sports.

To some of us brought up in the North, "rugby" means Rugby League. To some of us brought up in the South, it means Rugby Union.

And to the vast majority of the UK population, it means very little (which is all the more reason why I think it's a good idea to eliminate ambiguity and call Rugby Union Rugby Union).

Wednesday 1 August 2007 4.05pm
rugby "league" is actually a form of the game that most union sides play at the start of practice, as a way of warming up for the real thing

if memory serves, the 'league' teams (mostly from the north) split off from union, at the beginning of time, over arguments about money.

Union ("rugby") was here first and is currently played in over 100 countries. "League" is played in a mere 30 countries and in the UK struggles for acceptance outside of a few villages in the north of england.

those in the know, and true afficianados of the sport, know that there is (and will always be) only one rugby

oh - i expect that fans of the Newcastle Falcons would insist that 'rugby' actually means 'rugby union'
Wednesday 1 August 2007 4.46pm
All well and good but I'm sure seabass was just looking for advice on where to watch the game on Saturday rather than inviting people's opinions on their preferred code of rugby...
Wednesday 1 August 2007 9.48pm
Over the weekend I will be over at the Stoop watching Harlequins play the mighty Leeds Rhinos. Is there some Union going on as well? ;-)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: