New Kent Road cycle path - PLS USE IT!!!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Wednesday 1 August 2007 11.28pm
Sorry Peeps but I have to have my small rant about this. I know cyclists get a raw deal; etc etc... BUT, when there's a well-made, perfectly usable cycle path, made with you in mind(with a pavement-seperating divide), some of you decide to use the bus lane all the way to the Elephant roundabout! This can be so infuriating, especially when, like today, you get a cyclist holding up a queue of buses, riding like they were in a park on a sunny Sunday afternoon! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE...please use it...or cycle like you're in the Tour de France and ride fast. Oh and while I'm on the subject, stop bleeding running red lights...GRRRRR! Other than that, enjoy!
Thursday 2 August 2007 2.11am
I second that and then some.....cyclists are getting camera protection, so there's no excuse !
Thursday 2 August 2007 8.28am
Hear hear! And stop riding on the ruddy pavement! The pavements are meant for pedestrians.
Thursday 2 August 2007 10.06am
Please can we not get into the slander all cyclists debate over the actions of a few. There are good and bad cyclist just as there are bad and good pedestrians and car drivers.

As a cyclist (who doesn't ride on the pavement or run red lights) there is no legal compulsion to use cycle paths. I am not familiar with the one on Old Kent Road so I can't speak to that but I generally stick to using them especially if they are divided from car traffic. There are exceptions though where using the designated cycle path would be suicide: directing you into or across incoming traffic, a phone box in the middle of the cycle path or directing you through a passage where even a pedestrian would have to walk sideways to pass nevermind a bicycle.

I don't agree that cyclists are getting camera protection. Yes vehicles who encroach into advacned stop lines maybe photographed and fined (if the bill is passed) but I'm hard pressed to believe this is for the protection of cyclists and more another avenue to raise revenue by TFL.
Thursday 2 August 2007 10.35am
popism wrote:
Please can we not get into the slander all cyclists debate over the actions of a few.

OP started with "some". And I echo his sentiments.
Thursday 2 August 2007 11.17am
Sorry if off-topic but as a nervous would-be cyclist, currently trying to pluck up the courage to cycle around London, the Elephant junction is one of the things putting me off. What IS the best way to navigate it by bike? I live south of Burgess Park (Camberwell end) and work on Southwark Bridge Road...
Thursday 2 August 2007 12.04pm
Ruth Elleson wrote:
What IS the best way to navigate it by bike?

I suggest get off and walk....
Thursday 2 August 2007 12.21pm
Ruth
There is an easy route - you cross Burgess Park to Portland Street, continue up this (turns into Brandon Street), turn right at Larcom St (via a bike cut-through) then left onto Rodney Road, right at the junction into Rodney Place then left onto the much-debated cycle lane along New Kent Road. It's fine other than it has a telephone box in the middle of it!

Sounds complex but isn't once you try it.

Then on NKR you cross at the lights before Elephant and duck down Meadow Row turning left onto Rockingham Street which brings you to Newington Causeway where you cross on a toucan crossing (bike signals) straight to the bottom end of Southwark Bridge Road.
The latter bits are all part of the "Elephant & Castle cycle bypass" which can take you 360 degrees around the Elephant without using either roundabout.
Happy cycling!
Luke
Thursday 2 August 2007 12.37pm
<What IS the best way to navigate it by bike?>

I cycled for many years in London and would suggest that the best way of navigating any complicated traffic spot (which means most of London!)
is to cycle as if you're driving a car. Look all the time. Indicate very clearly before every manoevre. Always stop at red lights. Make sure you're visible at all times (don't hide by cycling in the gutter and don't overtake on the inside). Also, take your time. If drivers see you and know where you're going they're unlikely to purposly try to mow you down.

People often say how dangerous cycling is. The risks can be minimised ten-fold simply by obeying the highway code.
Thursday 2 August 2007 12.50pm
Thanks, especially to Luke.

Having looked at it on the map it does look like it should be fairly straightforward!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: