New Kent Road cycle path - PLS USE IT!!!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
sputnik Wednesday 15 August 2007 1.01pm
one thing that is tough about that cycle route along NKR is that pedestrians tend to walk in it, making it a bit tricky to cycle in. Personally I'd still rather use that cycle track than brave the dangers of NKR, though.
stephen.h Wednesday 15 August 2007 2.49pm
Bel Ludovic wrote:

On the exceptionally rare occasions where I feel it is safer to ride on the pavement than on the road, I usually cycle only marginally faster than someone pushing a pram.

You seem to have the extraordinary idea that you can pick and choose which bits of the law apply to you. This is not the case. It is ILLEGAL to cycle on pavements. Even if the pavement is wide. Even if it's inconvenient. Even (love this one) if you ride at the same speed as a pram (!!)
Bel Ludovic Wednesday 15 August 2007 6.18pm
stephen.h wrote:

You seem to have the extraordinary idea that you can pick and choose which bits of the law apply to you. This is not the case. It is ILLEGAL to cycle on pavements. Even if the pavement is wide. Even if it's inconvenient. Even (love this one) if you ride at the same speed as a pram (!!)

Be that as it may, no amount of bleating about what is legal or 'ILLEGAL' will change the fact that people only tend to obey the laws that they consider make sense or that they know are rigorously enforced. That's why millions of people take drugs every weekend, or pay builders cash in hand, or buy counterfeit DVDs, or ride on pavements, or talk on their mobile phones whilst in cars, even though all are 'ILLEGAL'.
Coffee Wednesday 15 August 2007 7.55pm
Theres a world of difference between someone riding slowly and giving way to pedestrains and the loonies that cycle full pelt on pavments reguardless of who gets in their way and between those that go through a red light when there are no cars coming or pedestrians crossing A rare occurance but it does happen)and those who always go through a red light reguardless of their own or others safety. The former I have no time for but the later well give them a break! Let he who has no sin cast the frist stone.
Andrew H Wednesday 18 November 2009 11.45am
The small rail that separates the cycle path from the pavement has been removed, so both have merged. Is making using the cycle lane very hazardous.
Merlin Rouge Wednesday 18 November 2009 1.13pm
My favourite daft cycle lane close to NKR is on Munton St running between Rodney Place and Balfour St. I guess the point of it is to head east down NKR by using back streets. As Munton Rd is a one way going West, you get to cycle against the flow of traffic in a small but dedicated cycle lane. The only problem is that the new builds there have put two parking boxes in the middle of it and so you have to leave the lane and cycle out into the oncoming traffic.
Then, at the end of Munton Rd, the lane suddenly then stops atop some pavement and says 'ENDS' leaving you going nowhere unless you dismount and walk back up to NKR and get back on your way.
I wonder who comes up with these cycle routes? They don't exactly join up in a seamless flow which is what you would like when you cycle about town.
Traffic planners don't make roads where cars have to suddenly stop and the drivers get out and push the car to a new bit of road, do they!
lyonsdown Wednesday 18 November 2009 8.32pm
I can't see the point of using cycle lanes at all. If you have your wits about you it is definitely safer using the normal road and you don't piss off pedestrians.

ps I am a cyclist who stops at all red lights the ones that don't do this and there are an awful lot, annoy me intensely. I'd like to see the police clamp down on them, they just give all cyclists a bad reputation.
JonR Thursday 19 November 2009 12.04pm
is there a FPN for running a red light in a car?
if so it should be applied to cyclists

not easy at all red lights obviously, but put a few policemen at sets of lights, in contact with others several meters down the road, when someone on a bike runs the red light, contact the second copper to stop the cyclist, FPN (100?) on the spot. have a team of, say 20 such groups of police, and vary their location on an hourly basis, and that'd soon pay for itself, and stop cyclists from breaking this law.
Ivanhoe Thursday 19 November 2009 12.31pm
Great idea. They could also give tickets to the people driving and talking on their mobiles.

People break laws that (a) they don't agree with, and/or (b)they don't see being enforced. Some sort of visible, occasional, random enforcement would be a good use of police time, imho.

...if you press it, they will come.
Gwynaethva Thursday 19 November 2009 1.12pm
JonR wrote:
is there a FPN for running a red light in a car?
if so it should be applied to cyclists

not easy at all red lights obviously, but put a few policemen at sets of lights, in contact with others several meters down the road, when someone on a bike runs the red light, contact the second copper to stop the cyclist, FPN (100?) on the spot. have a team of, say 20 such groups of police, and vary their location on an hourly basis, and that'd soon pay for itself, and stop cyclists from breaking this law.

There is and they do! (Not to me, obviously. Ahem... ;o)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions