New Kent Road cycle path - PLS USE IT!!!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6
JuliaBaker Friday 20 November 2009 11.43am
Ruth Elleson wrote:
Sorry if off-topic but as a nervous would-be cyclist, currently trying to pluck up the courage to cycle around London, the Elephant junction is one of the things putting me off. What IS the best way to navigate it by bike? I live south of Burgess Park (Camberwell end) and work on Southwark Bridge Road...

Ruth - you can get free cycle confidence trainning for cycling in London from southwark council - it helps massively and you learn alot of tricks about how to keep safe which I see 80% of london cyclists dont seem to know!! Much as they thinik they do - trust me look into it it was brilliant
JuliaBaker Friday 20 November 2009 11.49am
Ruth re elephant and castle - that is the only place I dont actually cycle and i get off and push!

Also - Cyclists are allowed to go in bus lanes just like motorbikes now are.

Lets all stop hating! As for cyclists spitting and being rude I hate this as much as anyone and as a cyclist it is not a particular nice fraternity anymore but I cant afford TFL nowadays.
Merlin Rouge Friday 20 November 2009 12.02pm
What IS the best way to navigate it by bike? I live south of Burgess Park (Camberwell end) and work on Southwark Bridge Road

There is a back roads cycle paths that cuts out the entire E+C junction. From Walworth Rd you turn left down Amelia St, turn right into Crampton St, go right to the end and take the traffic light bike path over Newington Butts, up Churchyard Row, up Oswin St, over lights, up Princess St, over lights and down cycle route towards and turn right on Keyworth St which rounds the corner into Southwark Bridge Rd.
Ivanhoe Friday 20 November 2009 3.31pm
JuliaBaker wrote:
Also - Cyclists are allowed to go in bus lanes just like motorbikes now are.

Niggly point of information (excuse me), but m'bikes aren't allowed in all bus lanes, whereas bicycles are.

Some parts of bus lanes are under the control of a local borough. On these bus lanes, it's up to each borough whether they want to allow m'bikes. Southwark don't, but other councils do. So I can cross an LA boundary and suddenly I can ride in the bus lanes if I want to.

Other bus lanes (those on Red Routes) are under the control of TfL. I can ride in all of those. However, the stretches which are under TfL control can fade in and out like cycle lanes. This leads to the bizarre situation where e.g. if I come over W'minster Bridge heading south, I can ride in the bus lane on the bridge, but then have to stay out of the bus lane on WBR which goes from the Lower Marsh junction, past Lambeth North tube and up to the junction by Morley College. However, once past Morley College and heading towards St George's Circus, I'm back in TfL land (bus lanes are OK).

Which is one reason why you will still find plenty of people on bikes who avoid the bus lanes all the time.

...if you press it, they will come.
James Hatts Tuesday 8 December 2009 11.27pm
NKR cycle lane has hit the national press:

Daily Mail - http://bit.ly/newkentroad

http://realcycling.blogspot.com/2009/12/elephant-by-pass-gets-paint-job.html

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
Jac Wednesday 9 December 2009 10.21am
Note the bins partly blocking the cycle lane perhaps they should have painted the pavement with picture of bins where they should go.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6
Current: 6 of 6

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions