New Kent Road cycle path - PLS USE IT!!!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
The Mapmaker Friday 3 August 2007 11.35am
Coffee wrote:
I find this comment rather silly

I'm glad to see that intelligent debate continues on this forum. I find your comment sillier than you find mine.
Zappomatic Friday 3 August 2007 2.18pm
The Elephant & Castle cycle bypass (or at least the bits of it I've used) is actually quite well designed and doesn't take you too far out of the way. While Stephen's advice is generally sound I would not advise anyone to cycle around the roundabout system as this is dangerous enough even in a car (it was on London Tonight a year or so ago as one of London's top accident blackspots). As a cyclist, pedestrian and motorist, it angers me when there is a good, safe way around the roundabout and people endanger themselves and other road users by being so bloody-minded.
The Mapmaker Friday 3 August 2007 2.22pm
On another matter, when public transport is provided, and we are encouraged to use it to reduce our carbon footprint, it is selfish of cyclists to cycle.

An article in the BMJ (British Medical Journal) some time ago included some research that showed that three cyclists produce more excess CO2 through their exertions than do three people in a car.
stephen.h Friday 3 August 2007 3.08pm
The Mapmaker wrote:
On another matter, when public transport is provided, and we are encouraged to use it to reduce our carbon footprint, it is selfish of cyclists to cycle.
An article in the BMJ (British Medical Journal) some time ago included some research that showed that three cyclists produce more excess CO2 through their exertions than do three people in a car.
stephen.h Friday 3 August 2007 3.11pm
The Mapmaker wrote:

Sorry Mapmaker - now I think you're silly too...
mister Friday 3 August 2007 3.16pm
me too!
Ruth Elleson Friday 3 August 2007 3.25pm
The Mapmaker wrote:
Even if the latter paragraph is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, the former paragraph does not necessarily follow.

Cycling is not just transport, it also provides good exercise...
janefs Friday 3 August 2007 3.58pm
The Mapmaker wrote:
Coffee wrote:
I find this comment rather silly

I'm glad to see that intelligent debate continues on this forum. I find your comment sillier than you find mine.

and that comment helps to foster 'intelligent debate'?

Like Jackie R, I gave up cycling in London after too many close calls with cars, not always caused by my stupidity. I also had the suspicion that the benefits of the exercise were outweighed by extra exhaust fumes I inhaled with the exertion. The fiddling around with changes of clothes for work and the stress of cycling there didn't help as a way to start the day either! I'm not sure any time was 'saved', but I decided a seat on a bus with a book to read was worth a slightly longer journey.
popism Friday 3 August 2007 4.16pm
I only cycle to work a couple of times a week and luckily most of my route is on cycle paths that are segregated from traffic--the only wobbly bit is crossing tower bridge. I agree the fiddling around with changes of clothes is a hassle and usually don't cycle if I need to look "done" for the office but I do find it invigorating and get to work in a much better mood. Much nicer than cramming on the tube stanging under someone's armpit. I'm sure I read somewhere that car drivers breathe in more fumes inside their cars in slow moving traffic than cyclists or pedestrians. But then there is probably some other report to contradict that!
Bel Ludovic Friday 3 August 2007 11.08pm
Worth pointing out that the cycle lane on New Kent Road is only on the southern lane (going towards Elephant & Castle), and even then only covers half of the road's length, if even that.

Once it stops, there is little safe alternative than to continue riding on the pavement all the way down to Bricklayers. I don't usually ride on pavements, but I do on this stretch since it is a very wide pavement and seldom used; Suvverk Caah'ncil should just make it a shared space, like the pavements surrounding the Bricklayers Arms roundabout.

I'm always mystified by really aggressive cyclists who abuse those pedestrians whose safety they themselves have endangered - I do hear about this happening an awful lot, to my embarrassment as a cyclist.

However, it would be nice if those who got so worked up about cyclists riding on pavements and going through red lights got similarly worked up about motorists using mobile phones, motorists and buses going through red lights, motorists not indicating when they turn left, motorists speeding, pedestrians jaywalking (which is also 'jumping the red lights' in a sense, is it not), pedestrians dawdling across roads without looking to see what's coming, pedestrians walking in cycle paths, utility vans blocking off cycle paths, vehicles occupying the cycles-only space in front of traffic lights, etc, etc.

Few road users are perfect. We should just deal with it.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions