New Kent Road cycle path - PLS USE IT!!!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Thursday 2 August 2007 12.31pm
I can't say I'm not bothered about cyclists using bus lanes. Buses at bus stops, cars illegally parked, taxis picking up and setting down, roadworks all delay buses in the bus lanes.

But cyclists on paths are a massive problem especially on the New Kent Road.

I walk daily on the New Kent Rd on the north side (which has no cycle path) and was once knocked over by a cyclist who went straight into me having approached from behind so was quite a shock. He didn't even come off his bike and said a casual 'sorry' while I told him 'just don't cycle here again'. I'm a young and well built male but this would have badly injured a small child or an elderly person.

And just last week I was crossing a road in Holborn when a cyclist went through it on a red light and shouted a rude word at ME, to which I responded with firm but polite words about it being a red light. He then stopped, followed me on his bike shouting abuse and spat at me.

So the next time I am crossing legally on a 'green man' or zebra crossing and a cyclists comes through then they may find they have to swerve to avoid me.
If they come off it'll be their fault and they'll be hard pushed to abuse or attack.

I used to cycle until my bike was nicked recently and I definitely agree that cyclists are not a different species and have worries of their own (cars, buses...). I had a couple of arguments with bus drivers about using bus lanes but I was very wary of pedestrians crossing the road. There are a lot of psychotic cyclists out there who cause mayhem do not respond well to polite, commonsense, defensive actions by pedestrians.

If you are too scared to cycle on the road, first look up a different route or a cycle path. If a cycle path is too slow for you use a bus, or walk or jog or rollerblade. Since my bike got nicked I run to the gym and take the bus back and the only shouting between me and another road user was when a pedestrian shouted 'run Forrest run'!
Thursday 2 August 2007 2.01pm
always carry a long umbrella. if a cylcist then comes at you somewhere where they shouldn't be, hold it out, and watch them swerve or get a face full of wire stick.
Thursday 2 August 2007 2.56pm
Colinio wrote:
I
There are a lot of psychotic cyclists out there who cause mayhem do not respond well to polite, commonsense, defensive actions by pedestrians.

i think what is being mixed up here is 'cyclists' who obey the high way code and behave well towards people and 'idoits' who just happen to be on a bike!
Thursday 2 August 2007 3.36pm
I cant help it ive just got to comment although part of me thinks that the good cylist bad cyclists debate has been done to death on the forum and always to the same end ie going over and over the same old arguements. But here goes anyway.

Firstly in response to the the title of the thread. I would ask the writer of the original post have you ever tried cycling along that cycle route? Probably not or you would not have made the post as you would know why. Cycling from the west to the east, it starts at elephant road where it is almost impossible to get onto as you have to negotiate the people filing off busses. The barriers do not keep the pedestrians off that first bit of cycle lane and it is almost impossible to cycle the first few meters. (if cycling the other direcetion you still have to negotitae the pedestrains to leave the cycle lane) As you progress down the lane and it is a while since I have done it so forgive me if im wrong it weaves past various obsticles such as telephone boxes etc. Then after a while it just stops so to continue the journey you need to get of your bike and cross the new kent road at a staggered pedestrian crossing thus waiting for 2 sets of lights and then continue on the new kent road. So really why bother using it?

The trouble with most cycle lanes are they are clearly not designed by the people who use them. when they get to a difficult part of the road where you need it most they often just stop. As if to say, this is too difficult to work out so your on your own now! Sometime minor tweaking would help. A cylcle lane the cuts over the pavement at the Aldwhych would be so much better if the lights were rephased so that pedsestrains (now in a large group having just crossed the strand together at the lights)where not at that point of the pavement at the same time as the cyclist from waterloo bridge get there. And the cycle lane on nine elms pavement is a joke weaving in and out of lamp posts and having expect the cyclist to givee way or dismount every few metres. So if you cycle lanes are habitually not used then it is likely to be because they are simply so badly designed they might as well not be there.

Finally Ruth do give cycling a go, Stephan.h advise is spot on remember you have as much right to be in the road as the next man so have the confidence to take you place on the road. Its a great way to get around taking me just 15 minutes each way to get to moorgate this morning now there isnt any other way I know of getting there that quickly.
Thursday 2 August 2007 3.56pm
>>you have as much right to be in the road as the next man

But a considerably greater likelihood of ending up in hospital. Being right is no help when dead. Don't do it unless you can stick to cycle paths; madness.
Thursday 2 August 2007 6.13pm
The Mapmaker wrote:
>>you have as much right to be in the road as the next man
But a considerably greater likelihood of ending up in hospital. Being right is no help when dead. Don't do it unless you can stick to cycle paths; madness.

I find this comment rather silly and unhelpful. Every time you get in a car you are risking your life but we still do it. Perhaps we should all stay at home. Sure there is an element of risk if you cycle. But I also take a risk if I walk home late at night on my own. On a bicylce I actually feel safer than walking. Many fatalities on bicyles would have been prevented if the cyclist had worn a helmet. So when I cycle on the roads I wear one. I weigh up the risks with the convenience and find that the benefits of cycling out way them. Oh yes mapmaker I may even live longer as it certainly improves my fitness.
Zoe
Thursday 2 August 2007 7.18pm
I drive past elephant and castle every day, and am amazed that people cycle on the roundabout, when they could use the cycle lanes. If the cycle lanes aren't very good, tell southwark council, they do sometimes listen and change these things. They have a cycling officer, perhaps James knows his detials and could post them here.

I would add that I'm also amazed by people crossing the road at E&C, they seem to have little regard for their long term life chances, and cross the road in the most stupid places.

I try to be a considerate car driver, as I spent years as a cyclist, but I am driven made by some cyclists, of course it doesn't mean they are all bad, just as not everyone is a terrible driver, though it does seem that way sometimes, particularly when driving on the Old Kent Road.
Friday 3 August 2007 6.57am
Frankly I would LOVE to cycle, but I dont think London has really absorbed the tradition of cycling entirely. I was knocked off by a Peter Jones van many moons ago and lost my nerve. Our roads are not wide enough to make cycle lanes consistently viable - as Coffee says, they just petre out all of a sudden and the public are notoriously careless or ignorant of the rights of cyclists. And too many cyclists are ignorant of their rights too...many of them think they have some sort of divine right to do whatever they like and then blame everyone else.
Friday 3 August 2007 8.27am
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
as Coffee says, they just petre out all of a sudden and the public are notoriously careless or ignorant of the rights of cyclists.
The cycle lane on the stretch of Union Street between BHS and Flat Iron Square is a case in point. Pedestrians just wander aimlessly along it as if it's part of the pavement - and this morning on my way to work I actually saw somebody slowly propelling himself down it in a wheelchair...
Friday 3 August 2007 9.16am
The entire infrastructure of London does not cater for cyclists.

I travel to Amsterdam a lot for work. The city centre is devoid of all offices. All offices are located on the outskirts of the city in business parks. Feeding these business parks are major roads, with clearly marked roads, trams, cycle lanes - catering for all and sundery.

Another characteristic is that roads are wider in Amsterdam as they cater for cyclists with a clearly marked lane. Where the roads are narrow i.e. besides the canals, it's a free for all, but cyclists have right of way even over pedestrians

London (it's infrastructure) and Londoners (their behaviour) cannot cater for cyclists at this time, without a major rethink of the roads and a massive education program

And no, I'm not pro cycling in London. Cyclists are ill equipped, badly behaved, and should allowed on the roads, without passing a test.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network