New Kent Road cycle path - PLS USE IT!!!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Saturday 4 August 2007 6.25am
I shouted at a woman using her phone yesterday who was dawdlingin the road in front of me and driving with one hand...you should have HEARD the stream of abuse I got. And yes, I get thoroughly worked up about all the points made by Bel Ludovic...but then I get worked up about most things.
Saturday 4 August 2007 6.22pm
Bel Ludovic wrote:

Once it stops, there is little safe alternative than to continue riding on the pavement all the way down to Bricklayers. I don't usually ride on pavements, but I do on this stretch since it is a very wide pavement and seldom used;

You're out of order here BL. Safe for whom? I live on that stretch of the New Kent Road and, as a pedestrian (sometimes with a pushchair) am often practically run over by a cyclist. It is simply not good enough.

Since first contributing to this thread a day or two ago, I have taken a different approach to this issue. When ever I have seen a cyclist on the pavement I have clearly and politely said 'excuse me, could you cycle only on the road please'- probably about 12 times since yesterday. Some cyclists have ignored me, some have said 'sorry', some have looked embarrassed, most have moved onto the road. The fact is that the vast majority are ordinary, decent people who simply need reminding that cycling in pedestrian areas is unacceptable.

It's not always easy to speak out but this is a serious issue and I would urge others to do the same (obviously using your judgement!)
Tuesday 14 August 2007 7.41pm
About the original post: the cycle lane in the New Kent Road from what I can see is only useful if you are coming from the road through the Heygate (I forget the name of the road, the one that joins the NKR at the Crown and Anchor pub). I do not cycle along that route, but if I were coming from the Old Kent Road, I would not use that cycle lane, it is in a poor position and as far as I can remember involves first crossing the pavement near a junction, then coming back into the New Kent Road at another junction further up. It is just too risky.

I cannot say that cyclists are perfect nor can I say that I am perfect but I have noticed this summer that everybody, cyclists, drivers, taxis, buses are not being careful and it will lead to more accidents. Those with the most to lose are cyclists though, so please do not do stupid things like try to injure them or put them under pressure as it is not worth it over a matter of a dozen seconds added to your journey time.
Tuesday 14 August 2007 8.40pm
stephen.h wrote:
Bel Ludovic wrote:

Once it stops, there is little safe alternative than to continue riding on the pavement all the way down to Bricklayers. I don't usually ride on pavements, but I do on this stretch since it is a very wide pavement and seldom used;

You're out of order here BL. Safe for whom? I live on that stretch of the New Kent Road and, as a pedestrian (sometimes with a pushchair) am often practically run over by a cyclist. It is simply not good enough.

Safe for the cyclist. Sorry to disappoint but cyclists' safety isn't less important than anyone's elses. The New Kent Road cycle lane stops a third of the way along the road and dispenses cyclists onto Rodney Place. The cyclist wanting to continue eastward along NKR therefore has three choices: a) attempt to turn right onto the far side of NKR over four lanes of traffic that rarely lets up, b) turn right down Rodney Place and take the long way round via Rodney Road, Catesby Street and Darwin Street, or c) continue along a double-width rarely used pavement. One can argue about what a cyclist "should" do but the reality is, we are humans and just trying to get from one place to the other as quickly and safely as everyone else.

Anyone who rides at speed on a pavement is grossly irresponsible, as is anyone who rides on a pavement that is clearly not wide enough to support both sets of users, which means the vast majority of pavements. On the exceptionally rare occasions where I feel it is safer to ride on the pavement than on the road, I usually cycle only marginally faster than someone pushing a pram.
Tuesday 14 August 2007 10.31pm
I don't cycle down the New Kent Road, but do so in SE1 and around the City. I am also a motorist, a pedestrian and a roller blader/skater. I've experienced all aspects. Cycling, I have very near accidents with pedestrians in the City who refuse to turn their head while they are talking on their phones or listening to their IPods, they refuse to acknowledge the red man on the traffic lights and they walk out everywhere. So if I've ruined your tights because you have less road sense than a two year old - tuff. If I've crashed into you because you walked through a light - tuff. Taxi drivers and bus drivers have no respect for pedestrians, cyclists, motorists, or their passengers. Cyclists who go through red lights (I estimate at 90%) should be stopped and fined - period - I'm not one of them cos I got pulled up and found out that the rules still apply and haven't changed which I thought they had cos so may people don't care! Down with cyclists who don't know that they should be riding on the left and not in the middle of the road. Basically, what happened to caring about others? On the road, it just doesn't exist!
Wednesday 15 August 2007 7.04am
Just read on the news a two year old boy was hit by a female cyclist in a pedestrian precint, poor little mite now has a broken leg, and the cyclist no conscience because she rode away!

fortumately this was Beeston..but it could be New Kent Rd soon if the irresponsible dickheads on bikes dont get off the pavements.
pity bikes are not equiped with number plates..traceable ones...
Wednesday 15 August 2007 7.49am
can we please stop with this 'get the cyclists mentality' its so boring!
Wednesday 15 August 2007 8.43am
Not boring when your elderly and an accident like that could put you into a nursing home...or a child into hospital..

Mister it's not knock a cyclist week..more knock a cretin on a bike week!
Wednesday 15 August 2007 9.51am
Well if its knock a cretin on a bike week then it should also be knock a cretin driver week too!

I was knocked off my bike the other week on the box junction on the north side of tower bridge by a driver who turned left across 3 lanes of traffic illegally casing other cars to break suddenly. Luckily I was not hurt and just stunned and two cars did stop to see if I was ok.

I just dispair that cyclists are singled out when there is an incident invloving a cyclist behaving irresponsibly or illegally. When it is a driver performing in a similar manner there are never any heckles. Now can we please end the debate.

On a nicer note. I was in Paris last week and they have a wonderful new cycle hire scheme (Velib) that is cheap (1 euro a day!) and seemed very well used. Oh to have something similar in London.
Wednesday 15 August 2007 10.29am
that cycle lane is very odd with the telephone box in it

i do use it and my god it would be easier if it weren't always full of rubbish that the street cleaners seem to push from the pavement into the bike lane.

also

seeing as we lump all cyclists in together can i please now blame all pedestrians on NKR for walking in that cycle lane - usually its parents with buggies

its a cycle lane - not a buggy lane

as for cyclists - i get really wound up when im waiting at a red light and someone else zooms past - its dangerous and winds everyone up around me - then i get cut up by motorists trying to exact some kind of vengence
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network