Seafood Fair

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 3 September 2003 8.02am
Anyone going to the seafood fair @ Hays Galleria this weekend?

Post edited (03 Sep 03 09:33)
Wednesday 3 September 2003 8.45am
Yes! Really looking forward to having oysters and champagne.
Is it a regular (yearly?) event, cos I've never seen anything about it before
Jai
Wednesday 3 September 2003 8.47am
not sure how regular it is, but it was there last year... can't wait...

but there's a little stall in Borough market every week, where you can buy oysters to be eaten there... very reasonably priced too !

Varkenslachter
Wednesday 3 September 2003 8.58am
I do believe it is an annual event - and it gets really busy, although many of the visitors are tourists which means they can't really buy any of the fresh fish, which of course means more for the locals! I found the prices slightly cheaper than at Borough market last year.
Wednesday 3 September 2003 9.59pm
It is indeed an annual event.

The first one i attended was 1999. Was very good then and good value.
Every year since I have found it a bit dissappointing.

The quality of the fish snacky bits on sale last year was a bit naff.
I bought some seafood bits to eat there. Calamari, mussells, crab claws etc. Cost me about 4, which would have been reasonable if all the stuff hadn`t been from the freezer catalogue of brakes bros.

However the stuff from the thai on the corner looked nice, so i will try that this year instead.
As a whole the event is quite good but i just wanted to say i think the quality had deterorated.

Jo
Thursday 4 September 2003 11.34am
I remember the frozen (made up to look like) prawns they were selling last year, not the best quality, but then it's a nice day out by the river.
Jai
Monday 8 September 2003 1.09pm
how unimpressive was that...

came across those "prawns"... what a terrible affair... go get your oysters from that nice little stall in Borough in future. 50 pence per oyster, and lovely small crayfish tails... buy your champagne from one of the other vendors....

Varkenslachter
Monday 8 September 2003 1.17pm
Best oysters I've ever found (just outside SE1) are at Waitrose Canary Wharf. Plump, juicy, fresh, delicious, 49p each, bargain! And they're available 7 days a week, not just during Saturday afternoons when sensible people are not shopping.l
Monday 8 September 2003 1.39pm
Yes, all in all a very disppointing day out. There was a lovely looking platter which was being sold for 25 each - isn't the point of having a seafood fair is that you can bring seafood to the public and discounted prices?

Thank goodness we found the thai stall, otherwise it would have been a wasted trip.

BTW, did anyone else find the band playing very very loud, or am I just getting old?
Thursday 11 September 2003 1.18pm
Also found it a bit of a rip off!
Went on Friday evening - whilst David B was preparing for his amazing stunt?!? Hoped there would be less people queuing & was right.
Bought a seafood mix & surprise, surprise....5.00 this year, & pretty sure the cartons were smaller.
Very dissapointed as most of the items were over done & shrivelled. OK - so it was 15 mins before the event was supposed to close, but the quality should be the same no matter what...especially for a few glorified crab sticks & a prawn.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: