Attacked at the dry cleaners

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 7 August 2007 11.57am
Hi all

Yesterday I went to the dry cleaners on Tower Bridge Road to drop off a couple of outfits. I had just said that my outfit was very delicate and expensive and could they be careful with it.

A girl entered and the guy behind the desk put a pad and pen on my outfit. I apologised and asked to move it as I was afraid the pen might mark my outfit. I was then subjected to a torrent of verbal abuse. I then explained that I didn't think that she would write on it but that she might drop the pen. She carried on with really foul language.I asked her to stop at which point she started punching and kicking me to my face and head and pulling my hair.
I called out to the guys in the drycleaners to help me and call the police at which point they all ran out the back and left me to try and defend myself from a vivious attack.
After the attack I again asked the guys to call 999 but as they didn't call I had to. The girl then came back with a friend and started laughing at me with the continuous foul language. She walked off again and then returned to say that I had just been "f... up by a 19 year old."

The police did come and were nice.....

I'm not sure why I'm writing this but I am sooo upset that NO-ONE came to my aid. I will never use the dry cleaners again because I am too afraid in case I see her again but also the fact they they didn't help me.

Am I the only person who would step in to help if I saw this happening to someone else?? Probably!!
Tuesday 7 August 2007 1.17pm
So sorry to hear of your incident, hope you are ok - what a horrible thing to happen!
Yes, do try to avoid the area for a while.
I use the dry cleaners in Shad Thames close to the Circle - so far they seem to be ok!
Hope you will feel better soon and thanks for letting us know.
Tuesday 7 August 2007 1.43pm

Hi - I am really shocked by your experience. I hope you are OK.

Can I ask which dry cleaners on TBR? I want to avoid it!

Thanks - S.
Tuesday 7 August 2007 1.48pm
Your experience was horrific. I suggest you make an urgent formal complaint to the police whilst the events remain fresh in your mind. Also make a full written note of what happened and sign it off with the date and time of doing so. If you wish to take it further (and I think you should) you must act quickly. Consider going to your GP for an examination of any injuries sustained - if there are visible marks you must do so asap. Incidentally I write as a retired lawyer and former prosecutor.
Tuesday 7 August 2007 2.03pm

this is really horrible. I hope you're feeling better by now.
I agree that you might consider filing a complaint. It is shoking that no one at the dry cleaner helped you, whereas this was happening on their premises.
Can you tell us which dry cleaners they are? They must be named and shamed!!
Tuesday 7 August 2007 2.05pm
What a ghastly experience for you.
I tend to agree with Riverite that you should take this further if you have the stomach and patience for it.
Given the number of cameras around (in and outside of shops), it may be possible for the police to identify
this person who clearly is in the least, a menace and a danger to others.
Good luck!
Tuesday 7 August 2007 2.26pm
What cleaners was it? or can't you say love..oh you poor girl....B*****ds...
Tuesday 7 August 2007 3.01pm
Thanks everyone, you made me cry!!

The dry cleaners are next to Barclays on TBR.

I have just written a statement as advised by "Riverite".

Also, I saw her drive off in a car so I took the number plate down. I rang the Police today but they said the car is in "trade" which means, I think, at the moment there is no registered owner. Not sure if she will ever get caught.

It's just trying to come to terms with a completely unprovoked attack but I thank all of you for your support.

Tuesday 7 August 2007 5.41pm
Not a lot to add except I'm very sorry to hear this and I hope you feel better soon.

Since the dry cleaners were not prepared to help/call 999, do you think they knew the attacker?
Tuesday 7 August 2007 6.22pm
Would the dry cleaners have some liability, as no one called the police or assisted her? I'm not keen on suing people, but I think they must have some sort of duty of care for their customers, which they clearly didn't exercise here.

You could also claim from the criminal injuries board.

On a more positive note, you should consider taking some self-defence classes, I've done them, and you will feel more confident and able to deal with these type of incidents (which would hopefully never happen again).
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: