SE1 shopping bargains

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 10 August 2007 11.46am
Lidl on the Old Kent Road has reduced fresh sweetcorn ("on the cobe" as the handwritten sign has it) from 49p to 14p each this morning. It's loose corn with the leaves, not pre-packed. Grab 'em while you can.
Sunday 12 August 2007 4.08pm
They still have the 14p corn, and today avocadoes are 17p.

I bought four ears of corn, four avocadoes and a buch of vine tomatoes and it cost me 1.53!
Sunday 12 August 2007 4.22pm
I shop there on a regular basis , Aldi is good also.
Monday 13 August 2007 11.12am
If only they would open more tills. It takes me a good 10 mins to reach the Lidl checkouts whenever I go in, usually because only 2 of them are open. What happened to German efficiency?
Monday 13 August 2007 3.41pm
Emmesse wrote:
If only they would open more tills. It takes me a good 10 mins to reach the Lidl checkouts whenever I go in, usually because only 2 of them are open. What happened to German efficiency?

What time do you go there? I've never waited long in the Old Kent Road Lidl. There's rarely more than two people in front of me in the queue and the speed they work means they're cleared quite quickly, and they do open extra tills when it gets busy.

Did you know the store is now open until 10pm? Don't think many people do so it's nice and quiet later in the evening.
Monday 13 August 2007 4.31pm
I didn't know about the 10pm closing time. I'm usually there around 7ish, trying to pick up something for dinner and seem to end up behind 2 large trolley-loads whose owners have a debate about exactly how much certain items cost and which items will be put back to reduce the bill to the cash in hand.

Food is great, beer is great, price is great, exit through the tills frustrating! I'll maybe try later in the evening....
Tuesday 14 August 2007 8.32am
I heartily recommend their gin (the 6.99 not the 6.89 which is ropey), and their prosecco Maria Trevegine (or something) at 3.49.
Tuesday 14 August 2007 9.42am
Devon Cider is nice too.
Tuesday 14 August 2007 1.08pm
Oh yes I was pleasently surprised by the gin in the green bottle - absolutely fine for later in the evening and certainly the best I've had at that price point.I agree the Prosecco is a a bargain but the rest of their wine is a bit of a lottery and often not very good.

I can recommend the ridiculously cheap vermouth if you're going to have it in a long drink, and the rum is OK too.

Moving away from booze I like their potato salad, the fresh Indian and Thai ready meals (made by Noon Foods and of comparable quality to M&S and Waitrose, certainly a step up from Tesco standards anyway), cooked meats (no added water), bacon, yogurt drinks, gold blend tea (silver is good too), jars of Indian cooking sauces (but beware, the korma is very very rich!) and the sliced gouda, among other things. Also love the various chocolates and biscuits that they do; look out for the Belgian seashells when they go on special offer, and the various luxury ice creams are lovely.

Freeway Diet Cola tastes just like Diet Coke to me.

Their W5 branded cleaning things tend to be pretty good - ugly packaging but get the job done well, especially the bathroom cleaning spray and degreaser spray. Their more expensive Dessa kitchen roll is even stronger than Bounty!

Products to avoid: baked beans (like bullets), the cheaper tea, some of the cheaper yogurts, cut flowers (don't last very long). Their own brand ketchup also doesn't taste quite like any other I've had but I quite like it, others may not.
Tuesday 14 August 2007 1.23pm
A Lidl theme to the next social?

It looks as if Andrew has the ingredients for an interesting guacamole.

The frozen currys are good too, with obvious spices, and very cheap.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: