Shopping centre police-taped

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 14 August 2007 7.14pm
The whole front part of the E&C shopping centre was taped off earlier this evening, with police everywhere. Ambulance too. Anyone know what's the scoop?
Tuesday 14 August 2007 7.45pm
From what I heard somebody was murdered there in the evening. Nothing confirmed though, and it was gossip on the bus, but may explain it.
Tuesday 14 August 2007 8.03pm
My God, how awful. I hope that's just bus gossip.
Tuesday 14 August 2007 8.15pm
The tube station (or perhaps just the entrance near the shopping centre?) was also closed. While passing on the bus at about 17:45, I noticed through the closed gates that the info board said it was closed "for safety reasons". All of the three bus stops in front of the shopping centre were taped off too.

I checked on the TfL website after getting home and there was no mention of a station closure or any disruption to tubes or buses at E&C.
Wednesday 15 August 2007 7.08am
On the news this morning it said elephant and caastle/new kent road was closed due to ' unsafe' building.

I noticed loads of buses going by in n.k.r. that were completely different from routes that normally go..e.g. 333, 40 etc.
Wednesday 15 August 2007 8.34am
The TFL website now says the same thing.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnews/realtime/information.asp?time=now&mode=buses&line=all&incident=57135_TfL

So do we know which building is causing all the trouble?
Wednesday 15 August 2007 8.38am
Ruth Elleson wrote:
The TFL website now says the same thing.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnews/realtime/information.asp?time=now&mode=buses&line=all&incident=57135_TfL

So do we know which building is causing all the trouble?

Could "unsafe building" feasibly mean that a building is deemed unsafe because of an incident from the previous evening? Or does "unsafe building" really mean that a building itself is structurally unsafe?
Wednesday 15 August 2007 8.41am
The link does actually say "unsafe structure" so I assume it is in fact a structural problem...

The fact that the police tape extends further this morning than it did yesterday (the whole southbound carriageway now bwing closed, rather than just the pavement and bus stops) would support this, if something's in danger of collapse.
Wednesday 15 August 2007 9.05am
Maybe the Shopping Centre has decided to jump before it is pushed.
TAK
Wednesday 15 August 2007 9.06am
apparently, there are cracked glass panels on the towerblock above the shopping centre (Hanibal House) that are in danger of falling off, or some bits might already have fallen off.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: