A good traditional chippy

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 16 August 2007 9.21am
is there one?

i live in SE17 (between walworth road and old kent road) and am loathed to buy fish and chips from "The Best Kebab in the Universe"

There was one average on Aylesbury road but the Asian couple have either retired or fallen to ill health again. The "seafood bar" on East street is barely open for longer than the street market (fair enough). and there is one on Westmoreland road, run by a couple in their 90s it seems and last decorated in the 50s

The last one i'm appealed by and they are very friendly but the standard of fare is quite poor.

Its been so long since i went to a good chippy i'm happy to cycle or walk a fair way

any recommendations?
Thursday 16 August 2007 9.23am
Masters Super Fish in Waterloo Road always gets good write-ups.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 16 August 2007 9.39am
Ollies in Great Suffolk Street is just about walkable from you. They've got seating and a big menu. Though don't go late on a weekday evening.... I got badly refried chips one such time

For takeaway only the one in Long Lane (near corner with Weston Street) is good.
Thursday 16 August 2007 9.41am
barnets long lane ..? very nice..but i think masters are better..
Thursday 16 August 2007 9.43am
Colinio wrote:
Ollies in Great Suffolk Street is just about walkable from you. They've got seating and a big menu. Though don't go late on a weekday evening.... I got badly refried chips one such time

Ollies is on my standard way home from work (in Southwark Street) and I've been a few times, if its just open chips you want they've been ok but i'm frankly not impressed by Ollies

Colinio wrote:
For takeaway only the one in Long Lane (near corner with Weston Street) is good.

Is that George's or the Fish Bar?

James Hatts wrote:
Masters, Waterloo Road

I'll give it a shot sometime - not too much of a detour - have you been or just read the reviews?
Thursday 16 August 2007 9.50am
Masters would be my first choice. Always lots of black cab drivers in there too, which I take to be a good sign...
Thursday 16 August 2007 10.03am
IMHO Masters wins hands down over Ollies which, sadly, has lost it's edge over the years.
Thursday 16 August 2007 10.18am
'The wisdom of the crowd' . I completely agree that Master is best. I go regularly. I agree that Ollies has lost it. And the one on Long Lane, opposite the defunct 'Nightengales' pub is great for takeaway.
Thursday 16 August 2007 10.40am
The one on London Road is decent
roy
Thursday 16 August 2007 11.02am
Fishcotheque does really good chips - the rest of the fare is not much cop though
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: