Strange smell yesterday evening

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 17 August 2007 10.09am
Did anyone else notice a strange sweet smell yesterday evening around 6pm. I noticed all the way from Blackfriars bridge to Borough High street. It was quite a nice small - very sweet - a bit artificial?
Friday 17 August 2007 10.31am
Sounds from the description as though it was the sweet smell of success.... yet to be noticed near Elephant and Castle....
Friday 17 August 2007 12.14pm
i did yes - depending on which direction i was facing it varied from burning toast to toffee apples

i forget when it was strongest but it was a some point while i was cycling between southwark street and new kent road
Friday 17 August 2007 12.59pm
there used to be a factory with such a sweet chemically odour - Decima street, often smelt it near green walk..
Friday 17 August 2007 1.32pm
That could be it - I can't remember if I noticed it on Long Lane.

Do you know if it is still operating?
Jac
Friday 17 August 2007 3.13pm
Jan the old one wrote:
there used to be a factory with such a sweet chemically odour - Decima street, often smelt it near green walk..

That was the coffee importers on wilds rents. The high roast was rather unpleasent more like burnt toast. I havent noticed the smell for a long time so maybe the have gone.
Friday 17 August 2007 6.46pm
This thread brings back memories for me of the wonderful smell of food from many years ago - especially Tooley Street, Tower Bridge Road, and Bermondsey - it was the norm back then (50-60 years ago). Now the smells are of Indian, Chicken and general fast food eateries, but I suppose children today will say in 50 years time ‘aah I remember the smell of Kentucky or whatever.' But, in my opinion, the BEST smell of all has always been and will always be the smell of chips from the fish & chip shop.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: