Thai Silk

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 18 August 2007 12.22pm
I see that Thai Silk, the excellent restaurant in Waterloo Road, has moved and merged with one of its other restaurants in Joan Street, SE1, behind Southwark tube station. I am sure it will continue successfully there.

However, their website describes the circumstances as "unforeseen". In view of the fact that the brasserie development in the old Barclays bank premises on the corner of the same block has stalled, does this mean the block is to be demolished ?

In passing, I also notice that a new Indian restaurant, Indigo, is about to open on Stamford Street near the Slug and Lettuce pub.
Monday 20 August 2007 10.16am
check with the planning office at Southwark, they'll know.
Monday 20 August 2007 11.02am
Unlikely, seeing as it's in the borough of Lambeth :-)

I had a quick look on
http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/publicaccess/

[edited 7/9 by JH to remove inaccurate link to thread re. adjacent building]

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Monday 20 August 2007 6.50pm
I've spoken to them, and the rent was increased, so they felt it was unprofitable to continue.
Tuesday 21 August 2007 10.47am
The businesses on Waterloo Road are a mystery to me. Just along from Thai Silk is a hairdressers (Reid Hairdressing I think it's called) that is never, ever open, but occasionally there's someone in there "working". Further down towards St George's Circus, there's a place called "Splendour" that used to be a grocers, done up last year or early this year, which to my knowledge has never ever been open. What's this all about? If the rents are so high...
Tuesday 21 August 2007 3.12pm
Strangest thing about Reid Hairdressing was that originally it was a nicely fitted-out hairdressers which then closed down, fixtures ripped out to become a short-lived shop selling mobile phones etc, only to re-open as anotehr hairdressers, this time looking rather sparse and still using the slatwork walls of the former shop. What a waste!
Friday 7 September 2007 12.31pm
Does anyone know what is going to replace the restaurant?

How would I get in contact with the landlord to suggest a new business for those premises?

Friday 7 September 2007 12.59pm
Zoe wrote:
I've spoken to them, and the rent was increased, so they felt it was unprofitable to continue.

That's what 'they' tell you! That is not the reaon for them shutting down. Even an increase in rent would be nothing to a chain that has even opened in the O2.

The reason is definately a dispute between the the restauranteur and the landlord.
Friday 7 September 2007 1.52pm
It is a strange building, much lower than its neighbours, so I woudl have thoguht ripe for redevelopment. South Bank Employers Group offices are in the building above. Maybe they know who the landlord is? Maybe they are?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: