Live Music

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
hydrometer Saturday 18 August 2007 6.21pm
To raise an old thread ,does anyone one know of any live music venues around SE1, preferably free events.
I know The Stage Door does live music and The Duke of Sussex does karaoke but does anyone know of any others at the weekend?
suziq Saturday 18 August 2007 8.22pm
Why free - do musicians not deserve to earn a living!
hydrometer Saturday 18 August 2007 10.27pm
We ended up at The Stage Door and the music was quite reasonable.
longlaner Saturday 18 August 2007 11.02pm
Music events can be free and still provide an income for musicians, who are sometimes able to take a cut of drinks proceeds. It's not fair to say that free events automatically mean no pay for the artists performing at them.
tony d Sunday 19 August 2007 12.59pm
If you can get a cut on the bar you would be very lucky. Most likely the bar will pay for the back line equipment and give the band a few drinks vouchers. A more realistic scenario is the bar taking a cut of the door money even though a promoter has done all the promotion and has to pay the band, adverts etc.
Would you expect to go to the theatre/cinema for free?
hydrometer Sunday 19 August 2007 3.25pm
OK, when I said free I meant that there is no admission fee to pay. I never suggested that the musicians were expected to play for free.
The pub or venue would obviously pay the musicians and recoup the expense on the drinks they serve. I went to The Stage Door yesterday evening and spent approx 25 which I would not have spent there if I had not gone there to listen to the music.
suziq Monday 20 August 2007 8.16am
Thank you Tony D for the last sentence of your message - my sentiments exactly. One other point worth mentioning about pubs/clubs paying bands. There are more and more venues where, not only are the musicians not paid, but up and coming bands have to pay for the 'privilege'(!) of playing. That's 'free' music for you.
mick4recycle Monday 20 August 2007 11.34pm
good live music should pull in the punters..
the venues should pay them from increased bar receipts

then everyone wins
Rags Monday 20 August 2007 11.51pm
Also, new bands/musicians starting out will often play for free as they build up a fan base. It's not that unreasonable to expect no door charge on an unknown band, the music of whose caliber is at that point an unknown quantity.

And you can always tip the band!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions