Possible redevelopment of Guy's Hospital

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 20 August 2007 6.05pm
From Estates Gazette -

Guys and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust are examining ways of raising funds to pay for future new facilities for the hospital.

Options being considered include transforming the landmark eyesore tower into luxury flats.

A more likely scenario would see the hospital quit the site entirely for a new hospital campus in a cheaper location allowing for a full redevelopment of the London Bridge site.

Related news & features

Tuesday 21 August 2007 8.16am
Took them longer than I expected..close A & E...run down the departments, sell of with a flourish probably to Berkley..all the history, the Colonade will become a posh swimming pool or bowling alley.

Lets hope Simon gets his claws into this one..

I know i keep on about this but i am sure bits of guy's land was kept in trust to elizabeth newcomen foundation?
Tuesday 21 August 2007 8.48am
OMIGOD!
Tuesday 21 August 2007 9.15am
Rumour mill reports suggest the place is full of asbestos [apart from qualifying as one of the ugliest towers in London]. It needs radical plastic surgery to transform it - perhaps they've been watching 'The Tower' series. Next on the list, St Thomas'? It's also in a 'desirable' location.
Tuesday 21 August 2007 9.48am
If it was just about land values I would think St Thomas's would have been redeveloped long ago?!
Tuesday 21 August 2007 9.51am
Colinio wrote:
If it was just about land values I would think St Thomas's would have been redeveloped long ago?!

Agreed, I was taking a rather jaundiced view - excuse the medical pun.
Tuesday 21 August 2007 10.14am
asbestos is every where, and is safe enough if left alone..white,blue or brown it's all dangerous. I like to see the original specification for the building,was it completed 1975 as i remember being in at that time( new year time)and parts of it had not been completed.
AD
Tuesday 21 August 2007 10.58am
I know it won't raise the money they want, but surely they could reclad the building, and soldier on financially through alternative means.
Alot of people rely on public transport, and having the hospital there is great...as for the views...I could wait all day for an appointment up in the dental wing (20th floor).
Tuesday 21 August 2007 11.42am
The full article in this week's Estates Gazette is more circumspect than the precis above.

The suggestion of redevelopment/sell-off comes from (one of?) seven consortia of consultants pitching to become the NHS Foundation Trust's technical advisors on its estate strategy.

The trust describes it as blue-sky thinking.

Having said that ... Looking at various board and committee papers on the Guy's and St Thomas' website it's clear that we are likely to see commercial development proposals brought forward on both hospital sites.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 21 August 2007 4.00pm
As I understood it, the original plan was to consolidate facilities on the Guys site, which is larger. But MPs then panicked at the loss of the A&E facilities at Thomas'. What would happen if they had heart attacks! So the strategy was reversed.

Probably not true. But makes a good story.

Having lived through "Founders Place" I have my own views of the drivers behind the estate strategy of the various Trusts. I agree that some commercial development is almost certainly on the cards.

That said I spend a week in Guys tower 9 years ago with a very sick and underweight baby. The heating did not work in that room, and apparently the onlhy way to rectify this would be to drain the entire heating system. Completely unacceptable.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: