Town Planning

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 20 August 2007 7.40pm
As someone who does not like 'gated communities'. I was revently given voice by a town planner who enlightened me to 'redevelopment shadow' i.e the areas abutting re-development.
We live in a poor area, 'development islands' excepted.
My enlightenment was bought into stark focus on Saturday night, a wall's width away from permanent security guards.
The mugging happened in the 10 yard alleyway running from Green Walk to Prioress Street, a brick's width away from the Jam Factory security gate. I was distracted by a black youth. While being distracted my girlfriend was being bashed until she released her bag. Be careful folks.
Tuesday 21 August 2007 8.10am
B*****ds...hope she's okay now..bring back the stocks and when caught name and shame 'em..
Tuesday 21 August 2007 9.02am
That's awful, sorry to hear that.

The subject of gated "communities" or plain old gated developments is interesting though less so if you are on the receiving end of its negative effects.

The Global Cities exhibition at the Tate Modern shows some of the extremes of this - Sao Paulo and Johannesburg. There are also plenty of scholarly books and research papers about it.

Large compounds also reduce the ease of walking around an area. Most boroughs do not allow them now. Unfortunately Southwark allowed the Jam Factory, perhaps because it was already a factory compound. Metro Central Heights and the Alaska Buildings are other culprits. 99% of Shad Thames isn't gated which just goes to show high prices can be had without sticking up barbed wire...
Tuesday 21 August 2007 3.17pm
I wouldn't really say Metro Central Heights is a gated community, more a large block of flats which (supposedly) doesn't permit people to wander around its car park. You wouldn't let people wander around your back garden if you had one, would you?

Although it has a few extra facilities over a smaller development you still have to leave it to live your life (unless you're a homeworking hermit) and indeed I would imagine most residents get to work on foot or by public transport and make use of the shops and facilities in the local area.
Tuesday 21 August 2007 3.33pm
Absolutely, whatever criticism I have of Metro, it certainly isnt a "gated community" which implies a sort of roped off, exclusive bunch of people who dont mix, play, shop, send your children to school, or consort in any other way with the rest of the hoy palloy. Entirely not our case. You just cant come in willy nilly and park your car or leave your motor bike or your rubbish.
Tuesday 21 August 2007 4.13pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Absolutely, whatever criticism I have of Metro, it certainly isnt a "gated community" which implies a sort of roped off, exclusive bunch of people who dont mix, play, shop, send your children to school, or consort in any other way with the rest of the hoy palloy. Entirely not our case. You just cant come in willy nilly and park your car or leave your motor bike or your rubbish.

Spot on. The same, moreover, applies to The Jam Factory.
Wednesday 22 August 2007 1.16pm
The bashing of gated communities misses the point that the real culprits are the yobs, criminals, muggers etc preying on our community, particularly the poor and older members. The gated communities do not create the crimes, the criminals may come from large council estates with secure parking and coded access locks to their buildings, much the same as the "gated communities". Nor is it the job of security guards at the developments like the Jam factory to act as vigilante police. If they see a crime they should call the real police as it's their job. Most of the people I know in these "gated communities" mix openly with local people, use local shops and, shock, some even send their children to local schools. I assume of course no-one leaves their own front door open to not create a "them and us situation". Oh and I hope your girlfriend is getting over her attack from the b*****ds.
Wednesday 5 September 2007 3.41pm
i currently live in shad thames and i'm just about to move to the alaska building (so obviously i'm a bit biased) but touting shad thames whilst bashing metro, jam factory and the alaska building is ridiculous. Shad thames has got to be one of the most gentrified areas in south london with a huge number of people around almost any time of day - tourists, people working there etc etc. The need for gates is considerably lower than buildings situated further south. And, unless you are lucky enough to own a penthouse, none of the flats in Shad Thames have anything you can really call a garden. A big draw for me when choosing to live in the alaska building was the nice communal garden which feels private and provides the 100 or so tenants with outdoor space - a feature you could not have without the gates.
Wednesday 5 September 2007 4.13pm
metro central heights, alaska building and the jam factory ARE gated communities even if the residents do venture outside or even send their children to local schools! The communial gardens feel private because they are are private ven if they are shared with others.

City walk whilst it might not win any architectural awards, has a small communial garden which is not fenced off and so far as I can see has remained a pleasent area to sit and enjoy a bit of green space. It has also opened a walk through with Long Lane and morroco street which has turned what was a rather scary road (morroco street)down the side of an earlier gated community into a busy pedestrian through route which has opened up the community. Tabard square or what ever its called know has also opened up a rather nice space that can be enjoyed by residents and the wider community as well. (al be it locked at night) As a local person rather than a resident of any of these developments I know which I prefer.
Wednesday 5 September 2007 5.17pm
Well,our "outside" at Metro is a paved courtyard with a very murky fishpond and some bushes...it cant be called "park" or "garden" or anything akin to it. It COULD be (and has been) a good place to sit and eat your takeaway chicken nuggets and leave the wrappings or a place to have a bit of a booze up and then throw the bottles in the pond...which is what we are interested to prevent. I cant see why our gates should bother anyone or create any sense of exclusion. You cannot get through the gates to anywhere else, there's no route to anything, so why not close it off?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: