Nearest normal-priced supermarket to County Hall

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 22 January 2002 6.53pm
Please could anybody tell me where the nearest normal priced supermarket is to the County Hall.I was directed to a small shop on York Rd??? which was very expensive and did not sell wine!!! I was told that the nearest place to buy a bottle of wine was in Waterloo station.It took me ages - going up and down escalators,pushing through crowds,waiting in queues to eventually get a bottle of wine (not of our choice) and ofcourse double the price of anywhere else.Was I anywhere near a Tesco or similar???!!!!
Also, if anybody else is staying in this area - everybody will direct you to the nearest cash point, as being Waterloo Station(endless queues) - when the nearest is in fact in the Royal Festival Hall - calm and quiet!!!!
James Hatts
Tuesday 22 January 2002 7.04pm
One of the biggest complaints from SE1 residents concerns the lack of supermarkets.

There's an Iceland in Lower Marsh, but the nearest Tesco is at Elephant and Castle.
Saturday 26 January 2002 9.34pm
Do try Lower Marsh which is only a short walk away from County Hall. There is a good market, especially on weekdays, with some good veg stalls and a large fruit stall. There is also a really good wholefood store, plus Boots, a bakers, but not a butchers.
Supermarkets are a problem, though in my case it is because I hate trying to drag kids round them. Instead we do our main shop around Tatchbrook St in Pimlico. A good market, a brilliant butcher, a lovely cheese shop, a fishmongers, a few good delis and a small Tescos. Vicoria St, which is over the bridge and across Parliament Sq has Sainsburys, plus Army and Navy, and there is an Argos at Victoria.
Andrew Stalker
Wednesday 13 February 2002 11.10am
Probably the Sainsbury's at Holborn.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: