Important PS to "attacked at dry cleaners"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 22 August 2007 3.40pm
I visited the dry cleaners in question yesterday evening, probably shortly before the post by "Olle". I spoke to two guys there and told them about this discussion and how it might be affecting their business. I said, I hope firmly but not preachily, that it was not good enough to stand by while this kind of appalling behaviour was going on and that they should have acted or called the police immediately. They seemed receptive to my point and one of the chaps shook my hand at the end of it. I was going to post this up but was busy, then today I saw that the thread had been terminated.

I am a little suspicious about the post by "Olle", coming when it did. I also note that this person has only posted a total of 4 times on this forum, and two were under the title of "Tower Bridge Dry Cleaners are the best in London" ... ! I could not see what was written on that subject because the thread has been removed.

In my chat to the dry cleaner chaps, I urged them to read the thread and to do something to rebuild the good will of their customers, and of Karen in particular. I suggested they might want to post on the forum. What I sincerely hope they did not do was to post in the guise of a customer called "Olle". If so, that would be adding insult to injury, and we can already see how upsetting this posters comments were to Karen, the victim of an ugly attack in said dry cleaners.

Perhaps James Hatts can investigate the person behind the "Olle" persona?
Wednesday 22 August 2007 4.19pm
Very perceptive of you,vicd,,,over to James Hatts, supersleuth.
Wednesday 22 August 2007 6.08pm
Olle has already said (perhaps in the thread that was deleted) that he/she is absolutely not connected to the dry cleaners, but that he/she is a long time customer.

My guess is that if James had reason to think otherwise, he would have pulled all contributions.

However, I agree with vicd that Olle's posts were strongly worded for someone who has no personal interest in this awful event. To be fair, it does seem that Olle's concern is more about the contributions made by others to the thread, directly about the dry cleaners, rather than to KarenF herself.

James has asked for cooling off, so I won't contribute further, other than to say I find it hard to reconcile Olle's account (as told to him/her by the dry cleaners) with KarenF's in several key areas and I personally don't understand why Karen, who is the only contributor to the thread who was there, would make some of those things up.
Wednesday 22 August 2007 6.23pm
Olle's input seems rather too involved to be just a customer.

Seems like Tower Bridge Dry Cleaners have been upsetting people since at least 2003 -
Wednesday 22 August 2007 6.46pm
No-one has to justify why they avoid a dry cleaners, it's a business and they can go and market themselves if they need more custom.

Even if there was no concern about staff not intervening in antisocial behaviour/assault, a customer would feel it was an unsafe neighbourhood.

And I use the dry cleaners opposite Tesco on the Old Kent Rd. There is also one on the upper floor of the Elephant shopping centre which should be less prone to crime since the centre is patrolled and fairly busy.
Thursday 23 August 2007 12.41pm
For the record, I don't have any evidence to suggest that Olle has any connection to the dry cleaners.

Siduhe's analysis is - as ever - spot on.

Thanks to everyone who has made helpful, level-headed interventions on this issue, or sent PMs, or used the 'Report this message' facility.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 23 August 2007 3.18pm
At least there are some perceptive people on this site as shown by the good arguments contained within this thread.

It is correct that I have been merely a CUSTOMER of the dry cleaners in question but have always been satisfied with their service even when I had a complaint, they dealt with it and apologised that the item had not been cleaned to the quality expected. Like people who have a negative experience, people who have a positive experience should also have the right to post their views without the innuendos and suspicion that that person is working for that business.

I don't think that as a Finance Manager for a property investment company I have anything to do with the dry cleaners other than liking them as people and their service. They did mention that they had heard that the lady who got attacked in their shop had mentioned what happened and I took it upon myself to write my views so that another point was heard - I see that I didn't do a very good job at that. It is just that often when someone has been traumatised or a victim, certain events get blurred; like when I got my mobile ripped out of my hand in Leicester Square and then I chased him but could not catch him - I could not even remember the colour of his hooded sweater when recounting the events to the police.

But my point that I was trying to make was that it seemed that people here seem to blame the dry cleaners; some even stating that the area is unsafe. I have lived here for nearly 20 years and never had any problems whereas I got my CC swiped at a cash point outside of Harrods, mobile phone yanked out of my hand at Leicester Sq, and my car broken into at Wapping. I really don't think that one event should cast a negative view of the entire area, the same in my view applies to the dry cleaners.

Hopefully I haven't upset anyone this time.
Friday 24 August 2007 1.41am
Appreciate you setting the record straight Olle but the fact remains that the owners should have stepped up to the plate and called the police. I would have done that immediately, even as a bystander, assuming it was unsafe to challenge the thug directly. We live in troubled times when it comes to thuggery and violence and the only way to counteract that is for individuals to take responsibility and not constantly find excuses for shameful inaction. I believe the two guys I spoke to at said dry cleaners understood my point after I had explained it to them. Online bulletin boards are all very well but direct communication goes a long way.
Saturday 25 August 2007 10.50am
I have noticed that there is tendency to attack users of this forum with different or contradictory views and label them as being people who are posting with ulterior motives.

I've always thought that this is a rather lame way to conduct a debate, this is after all a discussion forum, and there will always be people with differing views - that's what makes it interesting.

Maybe we should leave these accusations to James as he's the only one with access to any evidence.
Saturday 25 August 2007 2.22pm
You are right, it is horrible. The first time I posted anything about 5 years ago, it was a shop recommendation. I was so put off by the sarcastic and suspicious response that I didn't post anything else for ages.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: