Shad Thames Safety

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 22 August 2007 5.11pm
Hello - currently living other side of the River but looking to move to Shad Thames soon. Do any of the locals here have any issues with crime, particularly walking around late at night in the area? I'm looking to move to somewhere <relatively> safe and testing the water. Thanks!
Wednesday 22 August 2007 5.18pm
Hi Phillip,

I have lived on shad thames for 6 years and have never had any problems at all.
I often walk around the area very late at night and have never felt unsafe in doing so.
I actually feel happy walking home from London Bridge station on my own late at night, it is well lit and you often see lots of the More London staff around.
I have been mugged and injured in another part of london, so naturally feeling safe is important to me.
The only time I can remember feeling intimidated or slightly nervous was when David Blaine performed his glass box stunt on Potters fields and late some nights it did attract gangs of teenagers who were unpleasant and shouted at people, threw bottles etc, but thats the one occasion.

I would recommend Shad Thames living to anyone, its a lovely little area with a sort of community feeling, I hope you decide on moving here.

Wednesday 22 August 2007 6.08pm
I lived there too for quite a while - I can't imagine living anywhere else in London where the walk from the station to home is quite so pleasant. The number of tourists and the lively restaurants etc mean the area is well-lit, with unthreatening people (i.e. touritst) wandering around until fairly late. In fact, now I live off Bermondsey St, I realise how 'unreal' the walk to Shad thames was!
Thursday 23 August 2007 10.36am
have lived on the shad for 10 years, always feel safe and agree the only time i didn't was when david blaine was in the area,
Friday 24 August 2007 4.59pm
I have, like I say, lived here for 6 years now, and love it. But, I need to move to a bigger place. I currently live in a 1 bed on shad thames and its small.
I need to set up a home office so I need a 2 bed really. I have just spent an hour viewing three properties that I can afford, all away from shad thames. One in surrey quays, one lynton road and one weston street. They all were terrible. It has made me realise how much I love shad thames, how will I bring myself to leave?? but I just can`t afford a 2 bed here.

Oh woe is me!
If anyone knows of a good two bed or fabulously big one bed available in SE1 at 325,000 or abouts feel free to Private message me
Friday 24 August 2007 6.19pm
Philip, you're more likely to have problems north of the river than you are in Shad Thames, or most other parts of SE1. Not sure why you thought otherwise. It's rough up north...London
Sunday 26 August 2007 6.35pm
thanks for the comments - I visited Shad Thames again and
it does have a great atmosphere & totally non-threatening.
Have signed a contract and moving next month!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: