Southwark postal code?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 6 September 2007 3.19pm
Hello!
I wonder if anyone could belp me please?

I am writing to you from Belgium. I would like to send a surprise birthday card to a friend of mine, but wouldn't want to ask the home address, otherwise it will ruin the surprise.

I know the address approximately as I have been there and it is in Southwark.

Would you please let me know what postal code should I use? Is London SE1 sufficiant? I have tried and tried but could not find a list of postal codes in the internet.

Also, are the postmans kind, I mean if the address is not totally 100% correct but close (have the street name but not number) do you think the card will be delivered?

With big thanks in beforehand.
Melle
Thursday 6 September 2007 3.23pm
Southwark is a big borough and there are many possible postal areas for a Southwark address - including SE1, SE5, SE11, SE16, SE17, SE22, SE23 and others.

The best thing to do is to use the postcode finder on the Royal Mail site:
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/postcodefinder

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 6 September 2007 3.25pm
There's a Royal Mail postcode finder on the web http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/postcodefinder?catId=400145 which might help you.

Otherwise, if you know the name and the street name (but not street number or postcode) I'd say that you should definitely expect the card to get delivered, but it might take a bit longer than usual.

Hope that helps

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 6 September 2007 3.41pm
Oh THANK YOU!!!

I found it! The correct postal code is right there, and that's great! :) I think it will be a nice surprise for him to receive my card.

Very happy now, thank you both!
Melle
Friday 7 September 2007 6.38am
Sounds like someone in love...
Friday 7 September 2007 8.34am
Ten out of ten for initiative Melle,hope the card has the desired effect!
Friday 7 September 2007 10.38pm
I was once ticked off by the Post Office with a little hand written note on the envelope a friend sent from France with just my name, postcode and UK. 'please provide the sender with your full address'. We were testing the system, as the French post code system is not as detailed, just one code for quite a large part of town or a complete village. Ours, of course, is split into an inward half e.g. SE1, and then then an outward half e.g. 3BG. I write this in the full expectation of being corrected in true Private Eye style. How long will it take?
Tuesday 18 September 2007 10.18am
Hello again!

Just to let you know, my card found it's way to the home of the correct person in 3 days! Well done British Mail. I was very pleased and so was the recipient, yet also very surprised ;) I said I had to a bit "Sherlie Holmes" work to find his address, and he appreciated it.

Just wanted to say big thanks to all you kind people and have nice Autumn!

Melle
Wednesday 19 September 2007 7.30pm
So pleased your card arrived safely. You are fortunate as we have a truly appalling postal 'system' in this country - particularly in SE1.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: