South Bermondsey walking and cycling links to be improved - Help it happen!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 7 September 2007 11.16am
I have come across a lottery competition that may mean major investment in walking and cycling links in South Bermondsey. The scheme is part of a nationwide project called Connect2. It is being run by Sustrans and is supported by the council. They want money to open up the old bridge outside South Bermondsey station and funding will be fought for on national television in December where the money will be allocated by a phone vote.

Does anyone else have problems getting to South Bermondsey station? I find Rotherhithe New Road and Ilderton Road both extremely busy and unpleasant with absolutely no crossings for pedestrians. The bridge would mean car-free access to the station and beyond.

As someone who both uses the station and cycles regularly I think this project would be extremely beneficial if done right. The station itself is grotty enough and any investment would be positive, right? Have a look at the websites:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/transport/connect2.html

http://www.sustransconnect2.org.uk/

If you support it, Sustrans are asking that you register on the Connect2 (name of the project) website.

Spread the word if you want to be able to get about better in Bermondsey!
Friday 7 September 2007 11.26am
Welcome to the forum. Forgive me if I am more than a little suspicious about the suggestion that this is a project that you have "come across", rather than being intimately involved in it.

I'd like to reiterate that people are quite welcome to invite discussion of local schemes/projects they are involved in on the forum - the more, the merrier. (OK, before a pedant points it out, yes, this is SE16 but only by about 150 metres...)

What is NOT OK is pretending to be a disinterested third party. Honesty is always the best policy.

That aside, welcome to the forum.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network