Heathrow flightpaths

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 10 September 2007 9.55am
I am sure you are all aware that one of the flightpaths to landing at Heathrow goes over our heads, but at least morning weekends used to be much more quiet than weekdays.

In the last few weeks however, I think I have noticed these weekend mornings to be as busy as a weekday, with planes starting to fly above as early as 6am and then ongoing throughout the day.

Am I dreaming, is this up to an increase in flights, or has there been a change in flight paths patterns ?
Monday 10 September 2007 12.36pm
haven't noticed myself.

Could be City airport...?

When I flew into City once we went over SE1 before turning back to land.
Monday 10 September 2007 12.40pm
Depending on wind direction, you fly over SE1 before turning and landing at City.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 10 September 2007 4.45pm
I've noticed this too & they're Heathrow flights not City as the planes are too big !
Monday 10 September 2007 5.31pm
i thought most of the long haul flights from asia and australia landed between 5 and 7 am and most of them have also flown over se1 en route to heathrow...no change there
Tuesday 11 September 2007 8.49am
I have noticed it too but I thought that was due to the direction of wind or humidity in the air. In my village in France, if we can hear the nearby river, it means it is a very hot and dry day...
Tuesday 11 September 2007 6.52pm
I lived on Long Lane until last October and am now just off Thorburn Sq. I never noticed plane noise previously although was only about 1 mile away. I am not sure if this is due to the background volume being much quieter here so that you can actually here the planes, or whether new flight paths have been introduced (I vaguely remember something about new flight paths in the evening standard a while ago). Can you now hear them back in Long Lane??

They do definitely start at exactly 6 am on some days; and the size precludes city airport.
Tuesday 11 September 2007 10.34pm
There have been no changes according to BAA.

Have the flight paths been changed - I've never noticed aircraft over here before?

There has been no change in policies relating to how Heathrow operates, including how Air Traffic Controllers (ATC) direct aircraft, nor in the position of the Noise Preferential Routes (NPRs), the stacks where arriving aircraft ‘queue' whilst waiting to join the Instrument Landing System (ILS) or the position of the ILS radio beams which aircraft use to bring them into land on the last stage of their journey. The Noise Preferential Routes have been in place for over 40 years. There are no set routes or heights for arriving aircraft as they travel from the stacks to join the ILSs, so areas overflown by aircraft on that part of the journey may notice differences in positions and heights of aircraft from day to day. Detailed information on how your area is affected may be obtained from our Operations Communications team in the Contact Us section.
Monday 17 September 2007 10.03pm
Don't care what BAA say.
It gets worse every year in the summer and is particularly noticeable at about 6am for some reason.
I guess the flightpaths change in the summer to cope with the holiday season.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: