EV delicatessen wine - a horror!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
mac
Wednesday 12 September 2007 10.31am
Mr Mac and I were looking for somewhere other than Sainsbury's and Marks & Spencers to buy some everyday wine to have with an evening meal. We live near The Cut so thought we'd try the EV Deli, as it always looks quite nice. We thought if the wine was nice we would become regular customers. They only seemed to have 2 types; House white and House red. No problem with that. We bought the House white at 5.95 - a price at which we'd normally get something quite decent at Sainsbury's/M&S. Well, it was THE worst wine I've ever tasted. It wasn't corked or anything, just totally undrinkable. Even Mr Mac grimmaced and spat it out (and he prides himself on drinking most things...). We thought we'd keep it for cooking, but it would have probably spoilt the food. Such a shame... back to Sainsbury's then...
Wednesday 12 September 2007 1.17pm
I've had their house white in the restaurant before and found it to be fine! I'm no wine connoiseur but I didn't find it undrinkable. Maybe it was a bad bottle?
Wednesday 12 September 2007 2.36pm
Ditto. The house wine in the restaurant (red and white) isn't gorgeous, but it's drinkable.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 12 September 2007 3.20pm
I think you must have got a bad bottle. They are Anatolian wines and in no way sophisticated but perfectly quaffable usually.
Wednesday 12 September 2007 8.49pm
The wine in the resaurant and the deli may not be the same. I have had house red in the deli and it was not pleasant. Now if I eat in there (which I frequently do) and want wine, I ask them if they wouldn't mind bringing a glass from next door, which is altogether nicer.
Sunday 23 September 2007 6.35pm
The house red I tried one night was terrible see my review here:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/reviews/449/ev
Sunday 27 July 2008 3.12pm
cannot comment on the wine except to say it has increased in price from Circa 5.00 to 7.00. to take out and 10.00 to drink in the cafe.
My comment is that I was in for lunch there today in the Deli section and spotted a Ferral Pigeon walking around the bakery section - I told staff and the owner later and no real interest was shown except to remark on the"hot weather" - even more reason for hygiene one would have thought.
We shall not be purchasing bread etc there for a while
Friday 10 October 2008 12.22pm
There's a recent review of Ev here:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/reviews/449/ev

I confess I find the complaint that the diner didn't want to pay a tip on a bottle of wine because he (or she) was going to carry it to the table himself rather extraordinary. It's not a fast food place, is it? In the US, even if you bring your own bottle of wine to a restaurant, you are charged $10-$20 for corkage. Are there not corkage fees here?
Friday 10 October 2008 12.41pm
I read that one too, Laphroaig, and found it difficult to believe!
Friday 10 October 2008 12.44pm
I thought the tip was an optional service charge. If it's not optional then Ev should be paying more income tax and VAT.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: