Police Sirens

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 13 September 2007 11.25am
Last night, as usual, there were far too many emergency vehicles with blaring sirens up and down New Kent Road and the surrounding area. Does anyone know why they have the sirens on at 2am when the roads are virtually empty? Surely the blue light alone would do the job in most cases. This sort of thing really effects quality of life and I'd love to know who to address this issue to. Any ideas, Neighbours?
Thursday 13 September 2007 11.44am
I get annoyed too though I do have good double glazing and it doesn't seem to affect my sleep. Maybe keep a diary and write to Walworth Police Station. Or if there are lots of us we could write a joint letter.
Thursday 13 September 2007 12.24pm
I live opposite the cop shop in Walworth. I therefore accept my noisy fate (albeit I probably have one of the safest flats in the area...) On the other hand, I do agree with you that the 3am sirens are superfluous. I too am double glazed but the sound pierces even this defence!

Would be very happy to sign or write a letter about this.
Thursday 13 September 2007 12.26pm
I sleepily wondered WHAT was going on actually, and thought maybe there'd been a major incident or something. I suppose they do have to make their sirens wail in the middle of the night because of random night birds feeling the roads are safe and not looking out as they should.
Thursday 13 September 2007 2.52pm
The reason for the use of sirens even in the middle of the night is so that as they drive above the speed limit they can alert people on cross-streets (who can't see them coming) to their presence.
Thursday 13 September 2007 5.27pm
If by 'cross streets' you mean drivers who would be turning right out of side streets across the flow of traffic to the opposite lane, then New Kent Road has none.

All the streets are left-in, left-out with traffic islands preventing all but the most daft of drivers from doing right turns!
Thursday 13 September 2007 6.11pm
I have to say the sirens really annoy me in the evening. Once I'm asleep (with earplugs), it makes no difference, but I face the north E&C roundabout and when I'm trying to gawp at the telly the sirens and the persistent horn honking combined are infuriating. While Southwark are busy turning all the roads into 20mph zones, could they also ban horn honking and sirens on the roundabouts? One can only travel around them as fast as the traffic goes, whether one is an emergency vehicle or otherwise.
Thursday 13 September 2007 6.47pm
Maybe some people here are being a tiny bit selfish?

Or perhaps the emergency services need to tip-toe around...
Thursday 13 September 2007 8.02pm
Let's face it - if *you* have an emergency, you want them to get to you as fast as safely possible.

Without their blues-and-twos they would be a damn sight slower!
Thursday 13 September 2007 11.24pm
Any ideas what prompted the huge (and loud) police presence in Borough High St around 11 pm this eve?
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: