BHB graffiti on walls

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 18 September 2007 10.56am
Has anyone else noticed lots of disgusting graffiti half way up walls appearing lately in the SE1 area?

It always says BHB (i think) and looks like it is done from a can of paint thrown or splashed up the wall. so far I have seen it down the OKR, NKR, above the tank on Mandela way and on Bermondsey street now.

Does anyone know what it is about... Is it someone's initials? Or is it something to do with territory and gangs?

Either way it looks disgusting!
Tuesday 18 September 2007 11.47am
I think it used to be the name of a gang in LA - Bounty Hunter Bloods? - and is now the name of a gang called Black Hoodie Bandits or something like that. I always take the view that if you're going to do graffiti it should at least be skilfully done, e.g. Banksy, rather than just artless and obnoxious.
Tuesday 18 September 2007 1.46pm
take a butchers at hopton street
graffiti, ther must be a chinese banksy about.
Tuesday 18 September 2007 2.44pm
Thanks for that, never heard of the 'Black Hoodie Bandits' - or the LA equivalent! Does make you wonder what on earth is going through their minds when doing this disgusting graffiti.

I work with offenders and generally they do have a lot of consequential thinking and persepective taking and when asked if they would like graffiti on their walls (for example) they are able to think and say 'you're right, no I wouldn't'.

The amount of BHB I have seen is loads and it's so bloody big as well.

And there I was thinking tagging couldn't get any worse!
Tuesday 18 September 2007 8.13pm
See http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/environment/streetcleaning/Graffiti.html

My experience has been that Southwark council are very quick to remove graffiti once reported, if it is on their property. I once reported graffiti on Perronet House at the Elephant and it was removed within 24 hours. If it's on private property that faces onto the road they will also remove it for free, at the owner's request.
CVM
Wednesday 19 September 2007 4.08pm
I have seen a lot of graffiti in SE1 saying South Side- I assume that it is a local gang. Whenever I report it the council are very quick to clean it.
Wednesday 19 September 2007 7.11pm
Zappomatic wrote:
My experience has been that Southwark council are very quick to remove graffiti once reported.

Agreed from my experience too. Southwark have an excellent and responsive anti-graffiti team.

There, I never thought I'd give Southwark a glowing report on one of their services, but fair's fair!
Thursday 20 September 2007 5.18am
I spoke to the local councillor Linda Manchester about the state of the parking area next to Berdmonsey Kitchen. The area is filthy and full of graffitis (a so called conservation area). People should contact her to put pressure on her or phone the council.
I regularly phone the council to report graffitis and other people should do the same, instead of waiting for others to do it. I have a full time job but I always find the time to improve the area.
Linda Manchester's member is 07980744984
The council number is 08000523696.
Thursday 20 September 2007 8.15am
I also noticed this graffiti walking down B St. yesterday. It looks awful. Could it be that they haven't bothered to remove it on the basis that the buildings are derelict/due for refurbishment/demolition? It's no excuse, but it might explain the tardy response (in my experience Southwark Council's graffiti team are excellent).

Chris
Thursday 20 September 2007 8.27am
I spoke to Ms Manchester two days ago and asked for progress. She had a meeting with the council and they should do something about it hopefully within a month.
I also think that the graffitis on Camarthen place, just off Berdmonsey street are pretty bad. I have been complaining about it since the 26th of February. Other people can complain about it using the numbers I have provided above.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: