Is Kwan Thai any good?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 20 September 2007 11.30am
Hi all,

I want to book a really nice restaurant for my boyfriend's 30th birthday in December 2007. Kwan Thai has really mixed reviews depending which website you look at - some are great and some are awful.

Has anyone been to Kwan Thai in Hays Galleria, SE1 2HD recently (in 2007)?

How was the food?

How was the service?

Can you recommend which table/area to book for the best views of the Thames?

Your opinions will really help me!

Saturday 22 September 2007 11.38am
I have been there and its not a patch on Suchards and more expensive too.
Sunday 23 September 2007 2.31pm
It's OK but really nothing special - especially not for such an occasion. To be honest you get a much better and more romantic view of the Thames from the restaurants by City Hall, Dim T, Gaucho etc.
Monday 24 September 2007 9.33pm
Kwan Thai has good food but is overpriced for what they actually give you (e.g. food is good but not extraordinary). I went earlier this year and the service wasn't that great either. The waitresses were rather grouchy towards us and seemed like they couldn't be bothered, although they were dressed nicely. We sat on the ground floor by the window but didn't get much of a view because the restaurant was slightly sunken so you see more of passerbys than the water.

If you want a good view and exquisite food, try Ozu at County Hall. It's pricey but the food is much more worth that money than Kwan Thai. Mind you Ozu is Japanese, not Thai. The view is amazing though... try to book a table by the window if you could. I must repeat, exquisite food! And romantic setting too.

If you are looking for Thai, I would recommend Lye Torng. It's not a fancy place (pubbish setting with good table service) but their food is amazing. Maybe not for the special birthday meal but worth a try if you're ever nearby!
Tuesday 25 September 2007 2.25pm
Kwan Thai is fantastic for vegetarians however. You have to ask for it, but they have an extensive separate vegetarian menu. I just with they did home delivery!
Wednesday 10 October 2007 6.08pm
Thanks for all your replies. They have been really useful for me. I've decided not to go to Kwan Thai, and will keep looking for somewhere which will be better. Any more suggestions will be gratefully received.

Gaucho looked good but slightly more than I hoped to pay and Ozu looked good too but sadly our other friends aren't keen on Japaneses food.

Thanks again,

Wednesday 10 October 2007 8.40pm
I can recommend Lye Torng for the food. The ambience is not particularly special though they have recently painted the interior a bit and are having a go at the outside which may be better by December. I live locally and go there a lot and keep whingeing at them about their lack of a decent coffee machine, without effect so far. However the food is good and they do make an effort when they have a large party in for a meal. I was there when they had a very good civil ceremony/wedding last year and they do have quite a few birthday parties etc. there.
Thursday 11 October 2007 10.28am
If you want to be by the river, how about the Blueprint Cafe above the Design Museum? I've never been there, but it's meant to do good (European) food and have lovely views of the river.

Not in SE1, but Moro in Clerkenwell is a fantastic restaurant, and not too spenny.
Thursday 11 October 2007 10.46am
I have been there but only for lunch because they do a lunch deal. It does have lovely views and the food is nice. Prices a bit higher of course.
Thursday 11 October 2007 1.26pm
I like Blueprint. They also often have deals (in fact there's probably a link to one in the restaurant section of this site), and do a Sunday Lunch deal also.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: