New London Bridge House to be demolished for skyscraper

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 13 September 2003 12.58am
News item on london se1 homepage.
London SE1 website team :: 12 September 2003

Property developer Irvine Sellar, who plans to build Europe's tallest building, has bought a Sixties office block alongside the site of the proposed London Bridge Tower site.

That is the best news I've heard for ages.
I can see the lower half of the Gherkin from my window and it's
only London Bridge House which obscures the top half.
Lets hope for a speedy start to the shard of glass. No doubt
the vociferous few who object to any modern building will bleat
about it's affect on the London skyline, but hopefully those with
vision will triumph.
Saturday 13 September 2003 8.55am
I wholly agree that New London Bridge House, in particular its naffly tacked on 1980s additions, is a blot on the local landscape

But what makes you think that Mr Sellar hasn't bought the site for a companion "mini-shard", or two, or three - say just 5 stories taller than New London Bridge House, and likely to block even more views of St Pauls/the Gherkin - take your pick of skyline previously visible from SE1.

I suspect he needs control of the whole site to fit in a replacement bus station that he will be required to provide - the original shard plans didn't sort this out. I also suspect that, if he proposes something on the larger site that would generates enough money through a planning obligation to fund rebuilding of the railway station, a cash-starved Strategic Rail Authority will bite his hand off and the Mayor/ODPM will raise no objections.
Saturday 13 September 2003 10.44am
My problem is I'm an optimist. Anyway, at the rate things usually
progress, we'll all probably be dead by the time it's completed.
CS
Monday 15 September 2003 12.40pm
According to a report I read in Estates Gazette, New London Bridge House is the new proposed site for the shard, ie it's proposed to shift it from being directly above Lon Bridge station (with all the problems of building over rail lines).

Presumably he calcluates that approval is more likely in this position too.

Perhaps the developers/architects themselves would like to comment...?
Friday 19 September 2003 10.28am
I phoned the sellar property group but there is not much info being released. Apparently the inquiry is still underway, there are no clues to what the outcome will be, nor when the decision will be released.

gggggrrrrrruuff
CS
Friday 19 September 2003 10.31am
I read the enquiry is due to report 'this autumn'.
Friday 19 September 2003 3.06pm
As far as I was aware,it was always the intention of Sellars to buy New London Bridge House in order to pull it down and rebuild the London Bridge Tower(the shard of glass)on the site.

I am an optimist on this one also and am hoping the public enquiry will show that it is a building worth building that will improve the whole area.A new bus station and improvements to London Bridge Station have always been in the original plans.

Southwark council and the Mayor have both supported the building,with objections coming from English Heritage with the usual "damage to protected views of St.Pauls' and other historical buildings" argument.

I can't wait to find out what is going to happen.The building is rather stunning and will bring the skyline of London together like no other building........you only have to look at the various computer generated images circulating on the internet to see that.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: