Roupell Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 22 September 2007 12.17am
Does anyone know about the plates on the wall in Roupell Street? There is a plate with a man holding a globe with the world ATLAS across and a 2 plates with numbers.
Saturday 22 September 2007 12.42pm
Whereabouts in Roupell Street?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 22 September 2007 6.46pm
I think there are others around Borough High Street and Borough Market. It was one of the Notes and Queries on Robert Elms' show on BBC London 94.9 a few months ago, and I think they turned out to be an installation by a local artist.
Monday 24 September 2007 6.15pm
A good example is above 27 Roupell Street, there is a plate of a man holding a globe with the word ATLAS on the globe.
Monday 24 September 2007 6.26pm
Is it a fire insurance plaque? There are several in Roupell Street.

Tuesday 25 September 2007 2.48pm
Took a snap at lunchtime:

Tuesday 25 September 2007 2.56pm
Atlas Shrugged!
Sunday 20 September 2009 11.25pm
I just discovered from her marriage banns that an ancestor lived in Roupell Street in 1860. One branch of my family moved from Devon to London for one generation before moving on to the Midlands, then the north-east, from where I hail. My ancestor appears to have not been living with her family in Roupell Street, so was probably a live-in domestic. She just misses the census, which was taken in April 1861.

Weirdly, I now live round the corner from there myself. So I brazenly knocked on the door of the house in question, and the chap who lived there could not have been friendlier.

Apparently a Jack Thurston has produced a short film about the street. I see from a Search that it was shown at the Tate Community Film Club last year. Anyone know where I can get a copy?
Sunday 20 September 2009 11.41pm
You can watch/download Jack's film here:
http://www.archive.org/details/lerafilm

(Jack is the host of the Bike Show on Resonance FM - http://www.thebikeshow.net )

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: