Thames Festival

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 23 September 2007 7.45pm
Went to the Thames Festivel last week and found it quite tedious. An un-ending line of stalls selling jewelry. What has that got to do with the Thames? Food, drink and entertainment is all that is needed at a festival.
Anyway, that is not the thing I wanted to whinge about. What really got me was seeing one of the stewards with a hi-vis waistcoat with 'mayors Thames festival' printed on it.
When and why did this festival become the mayors? As a Londoner I and many others paid for this, not just him. He did not organise it, just passed it down to someone else.
Will his ego never stop expanding? When that glorious two week event the Olympics comes to town (on time and under budget of course)will we see new stamps released with his smug face on them as 'The Mayors Olympics'?
Also, how much extra was it to print these things up?
Agree with me or shoot me down, any answers would be appreciated.

Related news & features

Monday 24 September 2007 11.16am
Nothing ever surprises me wrt politicians and their ego's. Comes with the job probably. But at least you'll get a chance to vote on it soonish I think.

Regards the festival itself, I went a couple of years ago with high hopes and was really disappointed. It was, as you say, just stalls selling tat. I did run past it this year, and there seemed to be more going on, especially in Jubilee Gardens, but it sounds as though nothing too much has changed.
Monday 24 September 2007 7.16pm
It does seem to be the same round of stalls that are there for the Thames Festival and earlier in the month, the Greenwich Festival. The stalls appear to have little or nothing to do with the locality or the idea of a festival. I noticed that some of the stalls at both festivals are also part of the International & French markets in Lower Marsh - probably one set of contact numbers that are asked to all of the events.
Tuesday 25 September 2007 1.08pm
I enjoyed it immensely!!

Sure there were lots of stalls......and so? What else would one have, along the river-walk? The stalls were not predominantly selling jewelery - there were all sorts of crafts - and many were factual/informative stalls about the river, ecology etc.

There was a good stage in Potters Field and some excellent food stalls. My Boar Burger was delicious!!

The Carnival itself was superb and the sheer exuberance of those taking part was as large and bright as the costumers.

The Fireworks were as good as fireworks ever are, these days - noisy and colourful - and my friends and I repaired to the Founders Arms, where we laughed about the day, and life.

How do you see the Festival shaping, if you were organising it?

I don't want to discuss our 'Mayor'......
Tuesday 25 September 2007 2.04pm
If I ran the festival I'd like to reintroduce some of the games people played at the frost fairs when the Thames used to freeze over a couple of hundred years ago - bear baiting and cat throwing (sadly left off that frost fair mural under Southwark Bridge).

That'll probably be frowned upon these days though, any ideas for less contentious modern day animals you'd like to bait or throw at the fair?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: