Minor injuries unit @ Guy's

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 24 September 2007 11.32am
Does anyone have any experience of being a drop-in patient here? I have a badly infected finger and need to go there later today. I'd find it useful to know what sort of waiting time I can expect this evening, and whether there is anything I need to take. Cheers.
Monday 24 September 2007 11.55am
Waiting times are short but the dept is next to pointless (excuse the finger pun) because if it requires more that a plaster then they'll send you to St Thomas' A&E.
Monday 24 September 2007 11.57am
Earlier this year, I was using the unit several times a week for treatment for a burn. The staff are absolutely excellent, and couldn't be more helpful.

I believe the unit is open 8am-8pm, so I would get there by 7.30pm to ensure they have time to treat you before it closes.

After work and first thing it does get a little busier, but I never had to wait more than 15 minutes. Most times I just walked straight in after registering at the front desk. They normally had around 4 nurses on. They are also very good at providing anything extra you may need - dressings, antibiotics etc. I hope your finger is better soon
Monday 24 September 2007 11.58am
If your finger is badly infected I would phone them and ask if they can prescribe anti-biotics as well as treating it. When I was there early January they were very efficient apart from me having to walk with a fractured navicular bone to x-ray..

but while I was there I am sure I heard them say as they were not 'Doctors' as such were not allowed to prescribe medication. It may save you waiting.
Monday 24 September 2007 11.59am
Just read Libbys post....I stand corrected!
Monday 24 September 2007 12.15pm
Well I have to say I was a little suprised to be given the antibiotics, too. But I was prescribed them, and they worked very well!

Clearly their prescribing list is going to be much more limited, and if you need extensive treatment you may be sent on to A&E. But if you have an infected finger I think the unit may be a good first port of call. You honestly shouldn't have to wait long, and if the nurses can sort it out then it'll be a lot more pleasant than waiting for four hours in St Thomas'...
Monday 24 September 2007 1.51pm
I work at the hospital and would have to agree with Sidney, you shouldn't have to wait to long but twice i have been to the dept about various ailments and was told to go to my GP so a bit of a waste of my time.
Monday 24 September 2007 2.26pm
I went for some stitches out, they were very fast to see me despite it being 5:30pm, and very good about it.
Monday 24 September 2007 2.51pm
I cant praise the minor injuries unit enough. I've been there for sports-related injuries twice, most recently just last Friday, and each time was seen, diagnosed and given appropriate treatment in less than 30 minutes (!). It really is a fantastic facility.

Though it depends on the type of injury you have - they cant treat neck or back pain and GP's are more appropriate for longstanding medical conditions. I would have thought that an infected finger would be completely appropriate for the unit making it a better option than A+E.

The following leaflet lists the types of injuries they can treat:

Monday 24 September 2007 4.06pm
Yep, I had a gammy thumb a couple of years ago, and they sorted that out (with antibiotics) in no time. I've used it a lot over the years, and had a really good service. The only negative thing I have to say is that I think the nurse once gave me incorrect information about tetanus jabs, and I didn't get one when I think I probably should have had one (but I'm still here).

So much have I used it (through sport and cooking injuries), that I was once sat down and asked why I kept coming back, I think they thought there was something else behind my injuries I wasn't telling them. I thought that was a nice extra reassuring touch.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: