Leathermarket Court theft (& Morocco Street overflows)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 18
Monday 24 September 2007 11.47am
I live in Leathermarket Court and have had 2 bicycles stolen and now a motorbike wires cut and attempted theft. Fortunately the bike could not be started.

The camera has no purpose and the electric gate is hired out together with parking to anyone who is willing to pay. Cars in the street are often broken into as well.

Gross Fine who are the managing agents simply do not care nor have they done anything to sort out the crime in the area.

What's next? Break-ins and car theft?
Monday 24 September 2007 1.18pm
If anything does get stolen, my advice would be to inform your insurance company that there is meant to be CCTV and proper security and that Gross Fine are responsible. The insurance company, after paying you out, should then direct their claim to Gross Fine (since they have been negligent in maintaining the property) and hopefully not increase your insurance premium.
PKM
Monday 24 September 2007 2.32pm
I've always wondered how that works - if your management agent doesn't do anything to ensure security to the whole block are they liable? For example, if the door lock is broekn and they take an unreasonable amount of time to fix it can be held liable for any consequences?
Tuesday 25 September 2007 12.17pm
Sorry to learn of your burglaries. I live behind you, on the City Walk Development. We've had the same problems with cars/bikes etc. We also wonder about the CCTV. Yes, another 'secure' Galliard development!

Gross Fine sounds as competent as White Druce Brown, our 'Managing Agents' - I'm sure they could be done under the Trades Discription Act :-)

I have been in contact with Gross Fine, for over a year, about the awful waste of water, from overflow pipes in your propery. It's the block that backs onto Morocco Street.

Not only is it a waste of water, it looks hideous - it must be damaging the property.

GF say the plumbers cannot work out which overflow belongs to which flat. Of course, Rocket Science being what it is.........ahem.
Tuesday 25 September 2007 12.41pm
Thanks for your replies, it makes good reading and definitely puts things into perspective.

Regarding the insurance, my insurance for the motorbike will not pay out if it is stolen in the Leathermarket Court complex.
Tuesday 25 September 2007 12.46pm
Phil, you are so right about GF. There has been water overflow problems on the opposite side where I stay and these have been rectified by plumbers after complaining directly to the owners.

GF knows who every owner is and they can sort it out as it is traceable as to which overflow belongs where.

Just another property management company taking little interest.

You would think with the security issues in the area that CCTV on buildings to monitor (and I mean monitor) crime.
Tuesday 25 September 2007 9.46pm
We had guests staying with us in SE1 who parked their car at the NCP at Snowfields. When they went to collect the car on Sunday afternoon, it, together with 4 other cars, had been broken into and its windows smashed.

Wonder if all the incidnets are linked?
jh
Wednesday 26 September 2007 8.35am
|agree that security at Leathermarket Court needs to be improved. The building was poorly designed by the developer Bellway Homes some 12 years ago, who at the time of building/sale "suggested" main gate locking would be installed. This never happened unfortunatley but the management team and Gross Fine are looking at possible soloutions to retro-fit some sort of gate locking system.

There will be an EGM in the near future to which all shareholder/lessees will be invited, as they are each year, and proposlas for improving security will be given.

The main proposal involves building a "Porter's Lodge" at the main entrance, and introducing a keypad entry system, programmed with each flat's designated phone number, which could then be used to open the main car and/or pedestrian gate.

The large number of rented flats at Leathermarket Court, and the absentee landlords, make decisions like this difficult to achieve, and operationally leaves open the question of weather the large turnover of residents will make it possible to achieve our goal. However, we will proceed with the proposed ideas at the forthcoming EGM, and take the matter on from whatever decision comes from that meeting.
jh
Wednesday 26 September 2007 8.49am
On the other issues about Managing Agent responsibility it is up to individuals to inform GF about any issues that are causing a problem. GF do not have a magic wand but will repsond to suggestions/complaints/reports as best they can. I agree that on some occasions their response time has been slow but we are taking steps to improve this. Overall they are providing a good service for a competitive price.

Insurance claims are down to individual insurance companies. They will all operate different terms and conditions. Both GF and the Leathermarket Court Management will not be in any way liable for loss or claims to items left in a "public/private" car park area.

Damage to buildings from leaking plumbing will be charged back to individual lessees, for not maintaing their own property to an acceptable standard. GF and LCM will if necessary force entry to flats casuing damage to other flats or the building fabric, again with all associated costs being charged back to lessees.
Wednesday 26 September 2007 9.58am
PKM wrote:
I've always wondered how that works - if your management agent doesn't do anything to ensure security to the whole block are they liable? For example, if the door lock is broekn and they take an unreasonable amount of time to fix it can be held liable for any consequences?

If it's their fault that they haven't put the place in as secure a position as they promised when you moved in / bought, i.e. they have been negligent, and you can prove it, and you can prove that their negligence caused you loss, then you can sue. Depending on your insurance, if it pays out, then the insurance company, if it has any sense, should also pursue the managing agents. If they aren't doing their job properly, then they can be held liable.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: