Waterloo Millennium Green

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 24 September 2007 2.44pm
What is happening at the Waterloo Millennium Green? It seems to have become a camping ground for street drinkers and drug users/dealers. They've now populated the gardens round St John's Church, and the Green, and they're ruining both.

I can't understand why the police aren't moving them on. They're making our public open spaces filthy, dangerous and unusable. Anyone know why they have suddenly arrived in such large numbers, and why nothing is being done?
Tuesday 25 September 2007 10.45am
They've probably been flushed out of somewhere else, but I don't know where. It's much easier for the authorities just to move people on than to actually tackle the problem itself, and to do it again when local people take issue.
Tuesday 25 September 2007 11.16am
I agree - it is a merry go round.

We need some careful consideration of what our green spaces are for. If they are for the homeless I would like a comprehensive approach-meaning a different type of planting, maybe some temporary structures for the winter, needle exchange, daily visits from social workers etc.

If these spaces are meant to be safe havens for locals we need another approach to the one we have today.

So, what exactly are these expensive spaces for?
Tuesday 25 September 2007 11.27am
They're for local people! They are emphatically NOT for homeless people! There are already publicly-funded facilities for them, not to mention charities to which many of us give. The Green is really popular and widely used by local people when the weather is nice - but not now! I just can't understand why the cops aren't doing something.
Tuesday 25 September 2007 11.29am
Have you registered your concern with the Bishop's Ward Safer Neighbourhood Team? bishops.snt@met.police.uk

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 28 September 2007 3.44pm
The Waterloo Quarter Business Alliance has an update on the Millennium Green situation on its website.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 28 September 2007 4.57pm
Thank you James that's very helpful, and it's good to see that something is already being done.
Sunday 30 September 2007 7.57pm
well spotted James. I have emailed them.

Quote:
Hi,
I wanted to let you know that as a local resident I have stopped using Millennium Green.

It has become unpleasant and threatening. There is no way I could use the seats near the pond; they are used by the Millennium Green residents and it feels like a fight can break out at any time.

I am sure you will be concerned that this space has become a 'no go' area. I recognise you will be trying to sort this out, and I very much hope you do.

Best Regards, Kevin

SE1.

Kevin
mac
Monday 1 October 2007 9.16am
I'm also a local resident and have complained to the local councillor and the council about what's happening on Millennium Green.

The Waterloo Green Trust said that the problems are arising because Lambeth has scaled back on its provision for homeless/drug users and as a small charity they don't have the resources to do much.

There have been a few meetings of the relevant council bodies and the police but I don't think much has happened as a result. The police have said to me that unless they are breaking the law, they can't do anything (though I can't believe that camping in a park is legal). I have seen the police there a couple of times, waking them up in the mornings but it doesn't seem to have much effect.

I was also told by someone from Lambeth council that Westminster council have a borough wide drinking ban, a bylaw against bedding down and a dedicated police team to deal with rough sleepers and this results in rough sleepers moving across the river to Lambeth.

You might be able to get more information from the Lambeth Street Population Co-ordinator - 0207-926-2798 or from St. Mungo's City Rough Sleepers Team - 0207-549-8252.

The Green used to be really nice. It's such a pity it's being ruined.
Zoe
Monday 1 October 2007 7.53pm
I think Lambeth has a ban on street drinking in Waterloo, so action can be taken on that front.

I saw a large number of street drinkers on Sunday morning in the small park on Ufford Street. I'm concerned that homeless people are moving from open space to open space, with no action actually being taken. Unless something positvie is done, we'll just be moving the problem around.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network