Straw Bales

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 25 September 2007 2.48pm
Can anyone tell me where the bales for the recent Bermondsey Street Festival came from? Or otherwise maybe someone knows another supplier of small amounts of bales to central London. Thanks.

caroline H.
Tuesday 25 September 2007 2.54pm
Caroline is it for pets? Pets at Home on the way to Blackheath may.
Tuesday 25 September 2007 4.14pm
no it is not for pets, but for a party - but thanks very much for your suggestion
Tuesday 25 September 2007 4.18pm
Why not ask (one of)the City Farm(s) nearby? Or London Zoo. They have animals, so I suspect they get bales in. You could probably get a reasonble deal by riding on the back of whatever arrangements they may have, and if you wanted to make them a donation as well, then that's your business. There's a City Farm in Surrey Quays (and I think there's one in Lambeth, and also one over Docklands-way, and/or Hackney)

I imagine it's not really cost effective for anyone to bring in bales to Central London for a one-off venture, but there are farms in quite nearby places (I've been to one just out beyond Blackheath), so a phone book search for farmers might also work.

Hope that helps

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 25 September 2007 4.53pm
There is also a farm not far from Kennington.
Tuesday 25 September 2007 5.05pm
Why not ask at the Stables at the bottom of St James Road (at the junction with Rolls Road), they may be able to get you some in if you ask nicely
Wednesday 26 September 2007 3.03pm
Thanks very much everybody for your straw bale suggestions.
Wednesday 26 September 2007 4.24pm
You'll have to let us know how you get on.

It's only a matter of time before I persuade Mrs I to let me have a sheep on the balcony (not in that way, Julie!) and we'll need something to make it feel at home ;0)

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 26 September 2007 5.38pm
I've seen straw bales at events at Borough Market. Maybe one of the farmers brings them up.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: