Local Corgi registered engineer

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 26 September 2007 12.21pm
Our combi boiler didn't manage to fire up this morning so I checked the SE1 threads but didn't find a lead.
So I went onto the Corgi site www.trustcorgi.com/consumers.htmx and put in my postcode.
It provided the detais of five companies. I chose the closest to me as I thought it would mean they knew the problems with parking/how to get here.
The company is Megaheat
72 Penton Place
020 7252 5789
The person there didn't respond with the company's name but did confirm it was Megaheat when I asked him. He then asked me about the type of boiler and what the problem was ie why I was calling.
He then gave me a mobile no. which he said was for their engineer.
I got straight through and he, Nirmal, was at my home by 11.30. (Though he had to ring me to tell him how to find it just as everyone who comes here except the Indian takeaway man does.)
He was polite, looked presentable and showed his CORGI ID on request.
I left him to it.
Within 15 minutes he called me. He said the pressure had been low. He turned on the tap to prove there was once again hot water. He also said he'd tested the central heating. (I'd heard gurgling in the pipes while he was working.)
He was gone within 20 minutes.
He used one of our parking permits and charged their call out fee of GBP70 incl VAT.
If it turns out this hasn't resolved the problem, I'll post back to the e-group.
I was disconcerted at the outset - the first person I spoke to didn't give the company name; the engineer didn't ask any questions about the boiler or give a time of arrival but said he would definitely be finished by the time I said I would have to leave the house.
But I will keep the company's details and if we have another problem I would call them to see what they make of it.
Hope this is helpful.
Wednesday 26 September 2007 3.21pm
If they are affiliated with CORGI then any problems would be referable to CORGI.
Wednesday 26 September 2007 6.54pm
Did he show you how to top up the pressure? Usually pretty straightforward and only takes a few moments.

BUT, if the boiler is regularly losing pressure then you have a problem. You probably either have a leak - is there unexplained 'damp' somewhere in the house, coming from a leaking radiator pipe, or the expansion tank no longer expands. (This means that when the water in the pipes heats up, instead of the expansion vessel filling, it vents the surplus water to outside. When it cools, you have to add more water to make up for this. Eventually the vent will probably fur up and the boiler will burst; alternatively the anti-rust additive will all disappear and the boiler will rust from inside and then burst.)

When did you have it serviced last?
Wednesday 26 September 2007 8.12pm
While we're on the subject of Corgi and boilers does anyone have a recommendation for a decent local company who can power flush our central heating system? British Gas quoted 600, which I thought was slightly excessive for a 2 bed flat with 5 radiators.
Wednesday 26 September 2007 9.14pm
Power flushing takes absolutely ages which is why they charge a lot for it.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: