Lorries in cycle lane in Bermondsey Street Tunnel

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 1 October 2007 4.03pm
Hello,

I cycle every morning through Bermondsey Street and through the tunnel under the London Bridge rail onto Tooley Street. I have noticed that over the last month there has been an increasing number of lorries being parked in the tunnel which is blocking up the entire cycle lane and there are just more and more every morning.

Does anyone know if this is now a authorized / unauthorized parking place for heavy vehicles? This irritates me immensely partly because it is blocking up the bicycle lane so i have to go into the actual road and partly because some of them leave the ignition on which is not exactly making the air in the tunnel pleasant...

/ Jenny
jh
Tuesday 2 October 2007 11.00am
The whole area is plagued by lorries and coaches looking for short cuts. Southwark Council (http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/transport/bermondseyst.html)keep promising to address the issue and currently have surveyed the Bermondsey Street area for all traffic users. They are currently deciding what to do but no doubt they will pander to the heavy vehicle lobby as usual, using the old excuse of the area missing out on trade/business if not. The only thing the area will miss out on is a bit of peace and quiet and an improvemnet in the overall quality of the neighbourhood. There is no major business requiring heavy transport in the area.
Tuesday 2 October 2007 11.12am
They should have a lorry/coach park.There used to be one in Mandela Way. Seeing as I am always moaning about coaches parked outside where i live i feel a hypocrite, but where can the lorry drivers stop to rest before resuming their journey? Having driven down the M1 and seen the traffic I would have thought alert and refreshed drivers were essential.

( our coaches park up ALL day!)+
Tuesday 2 October 2007 11.22am
I think you will find they are queueing to get one at a time into the building site on the right hand side

given that cyclists dont use cycle lanes but use pavement this seems a good use of otherwise redundant tarmac!
Tuesday 2 October 2007 11.27am
A sweeping generalisation, newcrossgate!! There ARE lousy abd dangerous cyclists - and there ARE a lot of good cyclists. Just like there are SOME lousy drivers.

I am but a pedestrian, who hurls verbal abuse at those idiots - and those who make sweeping generalisations :-)
Tuesday 2 October 2007 12.35pm
Until very recently the cycle lane in the weston street tunnel was permantly blocked by rubbish bins from the businesses under the arches. It too is also often blockeb by lorries or cars parked or unloading And people wonder why cyclist sometimes ride where they shouldn't!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: