Incident at the Coronet?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 7 October 2007 9.56am
Does anyone know what happened at the Coronet last night between 1am and 3am? Got woken by police cars, police dogs, ambulances and hundreds of people on the street.
Sunday 7 October 2007 10.03am
I had heard there weas a shooting. I was just on my way home at about 1.30 and saw about 15+ police vehicles whizzing around there. Someone on the street said there'd been a shooting. Obviously everyone was chucked out of the Coronet and, in a rather unneighbourly fashion, decided to turn on their car stereos at full volume till 3ish as they cleared the area.

Shocked that in such a big incident nothing has appeared in the news!

Anyone else heard anything?
Sunday 7 October 2007 6.57pm
I heard from a neighbour living there that they had shown a special African film at the Coronet which finished about 1pm. However the audience apparently hung around outside and made such a noise that the police were called and asked them to go home quietly. It seems that at this point someone started chucking things at the police, which got completely out of hand into a riot, which only ended at about 4pm. There were lots of police cars and the whole thing was very scary to neighbours living nearby. I did not hear about a shooting though.
Sunday 7 October 2007 7.39pm
I did wonder why the traffic was so bad. Never seen such gridlock at E&C at that time of the morning.
Sunday 7 October 2007 9.22pm
I am reassured that there wasn't a shooting - someone passing us had said it was.

I tried looking up on the web to see what was on on the night to see if it was a band but no luck. It's marked up on the front of the Coronet just as "Nigerian Independence" which does sound logically more like a film than a band.
Sunday 7 October 2007 10.17pm
Thank you for your responses. I guess between a riot and a shooting the riot is the lesser evil... Still strange that there was nothing on the local news.
Monday 8 October 2007 6.18am
Having had a graphic description from someone who lived nearby I was absolutely amazed that there was nothing on the news.
Monday 8 October 2007 11.50am
D'you know, I scanned the local news pages - BBC and ITV News, Evening Standard etc. We had people lining the streets outside for a good couple of hours playing loud music from the car stereo and slamming doors.

Not a peep in the news anywhere. In fact this is the only place where it's been mentioned.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: