Tower Bridge - of many colours

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 8 October 2007 8.55pm
Walking back from the gym over the last week or so - I noticed that there is a coloured light in the top left corner of Tower Bridge.

Last week the light was blue, then red and tonight it's green.

Anyone any ideas??
Monday 8 October 2007 9.04pm
shipping signal?
Monday 8 October 2007 9.47pm
I had thought the only navigation lights were on the bascules:

Bascules closed

Bascules open

[Images from the Port of London River Byelaws]

I'd be slightly alarmed if the disco lights from people's wedding receptions in the Walkway could constitute a hazard to shipping!
Monday 8 October 2007 9.49pm
The light does no flash - and I hung around for a good 10 minutes to see if it changed, it didn't.

Will check again tomorrow - could be blue could be red - exciting stuff this.
Tuesday 9 October 2007 7.46am
i have seen this too, over the last few months at least.
Tuesday 9 October 2007 8.54am
I have noticed too, and think it is a hangover form some corporatre event up there some weeks ago; you know the sort of thing - Apprentice parties etc. Someone has just forgotton the light is there, and I do not think it is the start of some great Christmas illuminations!

Whilst on the subject of Tower Bridge - when is it ever going to get a blue repaint, it looks so shabby up close and has not been painted since I have been in the area the past 8 years.
Tuesday 9 October 2007 7.13pm
About 2 years ago they replaced the super-thick hand rail on the bit that goes up and down - loads of varnish and very shiny.

I remember seeing TB in an episode of "The Sweeney" (shall I slap 'im guvvna) when it was a dark brown colour - so who chose blue? and is that still an appropriate colour??
Tuesday 9 October 2007 8.04pm
Whilst helping out at The Scoop, during the summer season, I noticed this blue light. I haven't a clue what it 'represents' - if anything. I just know that it was quite magical to see the sun go down and the lights come on, on TB.....and along the South Bank.....eventually. Perhaps someone could telephone and ask! lol
Tuesday 9 October 2007 11.51pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
I remember seeing TB in an episode of "The Sweeney" (shall I slap 'im guvvna) when it was a dark brown colour - so who chose blue? and is that still an appropriate colour??

IIRC The stonework was cleaned and the red white and blue paintwork was adopted for the Queen's Silver Jubilee in 1977.

I was rather hoping that the City Corporation were going to mark the 2002 Golden Jubilee with a more subdued paint scheme, but nothing came of it.
Wednesday 10 October 2007 11.22am
Is it pink? If so, it could be something to do with Breast Cancer Week. Various building in the City are going pink, as a way of promotion!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: