Taxi drivers stage noisy protest

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 10 October 2007 5.12pm
So the cabbies were protesting today... I wish they would not be so incosiderate as to create that racket in a part residential street. The honking of horns seemed to go on forever, with no consideration for any shift or home workers in the hundreds of flats across from Palestra :( I for one am not very symphatetic to their case now...

Related news & features

Wednesday 10 October 2007 5.17pm
nelson_ wrote:
I for one am not very symphatetic to their case now...

I wasnt very sympathetic to begin with!
Wednesday 10 October 2007 5.38pm
Well now that I heard them ranting on the news, I can say they have just rocketed themselves up there with tube staff and Royal Mail workers as proper dinosaurs who need to wake up and see that the world has gone and changed around them.
Thursday 11 October 2007 9.16am
How exactly is it racist to encourage people from ethnic minorities to become cabbies?
Thursday 11 October 2007 10.44am
chuckalata wrote:
How exactly is it racist to encourage people from ethnic minorities to become cabbies?
I think the issue is that "encouraging" involves positive discrimination in the form of access to perks to which existing cabbies (principally white British men) did not have access when they were training, and to which (it seems) people NOT from ethnic minorities who wish to train as cabbies in the future may still not have access.
To be honest, I can see their point.
Thursday 11 October 2007 10.56am
Who will pay for the taxis and any cost incurred in doing the knowledge? is my council tax going up again?
Friday 12 October 2007 7.02pm
From what I understand; a person of the Jewish faith applied for help under the scheme, (after their business was compulsorily purchased by this Olympics thingy). They were told that they do not qualify as a minority.
Discrimination, of any sort, is guaranteed to cause problems.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: