Scotia Pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 22 September 2003 10.13am
Do not go to the Scotia - crap beer and dark and gloomy atmosphere... Garrison is so much better!!

Post edited (22 Sep 03 12:07)
Monday 22 September 2003 10.28am
Shhh...

don't tell the herd of style conscious cattle. But discriminating drinkers would be welcome.

A week last Friday, there were only three of us enjoying the Scotia's rear garden and the 80/ bitter (Champion beer of britain 2002) while some 60 style victims congregated standing outside the Garrison clutching clutching their pints of "Star".

Is there some anti-scottish prejudice at work here - the same company's William Wallace in Marylebone was similarly empty on a Friday evening a month ago, while all the trendy hangouts two blocks away on Marylebone High Street were heaving
Monday 22 September 2003 11.08am
hee hee.... point taken Rabbie, see amended post above!
Monday 22 September 2003 1.44pm
I regularly drank in the 'Scotia' way back when it was the 'Woolpack' - always encountered a friendly reception from the managers/barstaff.
Unfortunatley, the current manager(not the bar staff I may add) doesn't seem to have any people skills, especially towards some of its regulars.
I was disgusted in the treatment my friend & I were given a couple of years ago after spending a Sunday evening drinking there. Demanding we leave within 5 mins of 'Time' & only having an inch of beer left, he would not allow us to finish our remainder of beer, & had our glasses taken off us.. The most annoying part of this was that his 'friends' at the bar had full pints & were not been pressured into drinking up at all. Double standards I think!

I may return when he leaves, but until then, I will quench my thirst at many of the far friendlier places I have found in the area.

Monday 22 September 2003 3.19pm
they do show footy on the big screen though (unless partick thistle are playing) ...anybody know of alternatives in se1- we are not spoilt for choice are we?
Tuesday 23 September 2003 1.49pm
I used to meet friends of mine here when it was the Woolpack for several years, but a couple of "makeovers" later and I think they spoiled what was a very good pub. I miss the cheap Thai food as well.
Tuesday 23 September 2003 3.12pm
The only good thing about the Scotia is the dodgy jukebox and the pool tables.
Jai
Tuesday 23 September 2003 3.51pm
actually... the bar staff are generally very pleasant... and someone always fills up the fruit machine for me...

Varkenslachter
Wednesday 24 September 2003 9.47am
If you mean "dodgy" by the amount of 70's stuff they used to have on that jukebox, I'm glad they haven't changed it.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: