Calling all runners

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 15 October 2007 9.06pm
Hi
I'm new to the area and just wanted to ask any runners, particularly those who pass through the Borough Market area, a few questions.

Where are your favourite areas/routes to run around SE1 and why?

How has the area changed in the time you've been runing there?

Are there any particularly interesting buildings/areas/groups of people you like to pass?

Are you currently in training for anything in particular or just general fitness?

and another, just out of general interest!-

What is your favourite song to run to?

Thanks in advance for any responses
Looking forward to getting my running shoes on and joining you all sometime soon...
xx
Monday 15 October 2007 10.46pm
My usual route is from Long Lane down to Mill Street onto Chambers St/Bermondsey Wall/Rotherhithe Street past the back of Surrey Quays/Canada Water and back up Jamaica Road, approx 10k. It's a nice quietish route which is very important to me as I frankly couldn't stand the stop start nature of running westwards along the South Bank.

It's very flat as well which is good in some ways but lulls you into a false sense of security which is soon shattered as soon as I do a hilly route!
Tuesday 16 October 2007 9.07am
I generally go up Tower Bridge Road, over Tower Bridge and around the Tower, along the North bank and then up the stairs and over London Bridge, back along the South Bank and down Tower Bridge Road again. Best when not so many tourists.

Approximately 5K, but then I am a very bad and lazy runner as well. Anyone have any experience of Southwark Park running as this looks like a nice big green space on the map?
Tuesday 16 October 2007 11.49am
I have a couple of runs.

1) from my home near St George's Circus to Lambeth Bridge, then along the south side of the river to Tower Bridge, over Tower Bridge and back along the north side of the river to Westminster Bridge and home. This is about 8 miles or so. If there are tourists about I'll run along Belvedere Road and Upper Ground to avoid having to walk through the London eye crowds.

2) Same start, up to Lambeth Bridge and along to Westminster Bridge, but then up to St James Park and Green Park, and if I'm feeling good, around Hyde Park too. Around Hyde Park and home is about 10 miles.

If I'm training for a marathon once I get back to Westminster Bridge from Hyde Park I'll run down to Tower Bridge along the north side of the river and back to Lambeth Bridge along the south side. This is about 17 miles.
Tuesday 16 October 2007 11.55am
And the song would have to be something loud and heavy. QOTSA or SOAD, something like that. Probably doing my ears no end of harm.
Tuesday 16 October 2007 11.58am
Route 1
Start Hayes Galleria
Over Tower Bridge
North Bank
Over Hungerford Bridge
South Bank to Fitness First for a shower

Better out of tourist season
Beware cyclist on the No Cycling bits

Route 2
Start Burgess Park near Tescos
Down toward the bottom on the right hand side
Back towards Canal path and Asda
to Pursers
Tuesday 16 October 2007 12.00pm
Unfortunately it is rumoured that there will not be a RUNLONDON this year so no 10k in my diary for a while
Tuesday 16 October 2007 12.23pm
Jenny D wrote:
Anyone have any experience of Southwark Park running as this looks like a nice big green space on the map?

It's quite a popular place to run. Plenty of runners there at the weekend. There's a path that goes right round the park.

Also from Burgess Park near Tesco OKR there's a route down the old Surrey Canal (now filled in and turned into a linear park) which takes you right down to Peckham library. Nice and very quiet route surrounded by greenery.
Tuesday 16 October 2007 4.01pm
Hi,

1) from rotherhithe, down Narrow Street by the river, then duck right to go through Russia Woodland till you get to Greenland dock. to the right of Greenland dock to Tescos, scoot over and then through Southwark park and back to rotherhithe.

2) all down the South Bank from rotherhithe to Vauxhaull Bridge, over and then back over the other side and cross at tower or London Bridge

3) down the South Bank, over Westminster bridge, thru Green Park, and up to Green Pk tube

and a million variations on the same
Wednesday 17 October 2007 6.41am
I enjoy running around Southwark Park but all the gates are not open until 8am - I don't think it is more than 2km circumference but it is lovely & peaceful. You can access the park through the main gate on Southwark Park Rd at any time, but there is a road that runs through the middle, and the inner park gates tend to be shut until 8am. I enjoy listening to "Survivor" by Destiny's Child
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: