Jam Factory Council Planning Meeting

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 16 October 2007 12.17pm
For all interested parties -

The Southwark Council planning committee will hear the latest revised retrospective planning applications for the site on Green Walk, SE1.

Southwark Council have now issued their report and are RECOMMENDING APPROVAL of everything the developer has submitted, granting consent for Blocks A, B, C and D, as well as a new building on Block E.

On the Jam Factory site's Planning page - http://www.myjamfactory.com/planning - is a letter sent by the residents association to the Planning Committee and Councillors.

The facts are:

- The Developer breached the original planning consent, and failed to comply with legally binding conditions and that Southwark Council failed to take enforcement action.

- Consistent with this disregard for planning laws and policy the applicant seeks (i) to maintain what they have built in breach of existing planning conditions and policy guidelines with an application for retention and (ii) to obtain permission for developments which would also breach those guidelines to the detriment of Jam Factory and Meakin estate residents.

This is not NIMBYism but respect of residents and official policy and procedure. It is important, if you are concerned about the impact of any future development, that you make your views known, whatever they may be.

The Planning Officer's report, whilst recommending approval, is clearly marginal.

The local Ward Councillors are opposed to the scheme, as are both Haddon Hall and The Meakin Estate residents.

Please make your views known, by attending the Planning Meeting on TUESDAY 16th October at 7pm, Southwark Town Hall, Peckham.

Regards,

The Jam Factory Residents Association (JFRA)
Tuesday 16 October 2007 1.31pm
Just amazing to think that a developer can build away without planning. And then get consent.

It makes the council planners look like patsys. And once that happens other developers will try it on even more.

We can kiss goodbye to rule of law.
Wednesday 17 October 2007 11.55am
A report for those who are interested:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2969

Impossible to cover all the complex issues succinctly, so I haven't gone into some of the finer points.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 17 October 2007 1.29pm
I'm sure it wouldn't happen in Southwark, but planners in some counties are reputedly more flexible in exchange for delicious dinners and nice 'fact finding' trips abroad.
Wednesday 17 October 2007 7.00pm
Excellent reportage from James H.
Thursday 18 October 2007 8.58am
Many thanks indeed to James & his team for the coverage of this story.

Best - S.
Wednesday 23 July 2008 1.28pm
Update following last night's meeting:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3424

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 21 July 2010 9.18pm
Now that the Jam Factory garden appears to be finished (please correct me if I am wrong!), is it open to the public during daylight hours, as per James' article from July 2008? It looks to me like it's residents only. Can anyone confirm?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: