63 Alscot Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 17 October 2007 2.06pm
Unite are planning on building student accomodation on this site. Does anyone have any more information? Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend the meetings.
Tuesday 12 October 2010 2.15pm
I have just received notice of a new planning application for this property. It looks like an application for another reasonably sizeable housing development, although from skim reading I am not sure if the intention is still for this to be for students.

I haven't had a chance to look at the details yet, but just wondered if anyone else on the forum had done so?
Tuesday 12 October 2010 7.25pm
I haven't received anything (yet?) - is there a planning reference/ link to the online application that you could post for me? Thanks!
Wednesday 13 October 2010 9.44am
Southwark Council planning ref 10/AP/2824

"Clearance of site and erection of a part 4 / part 5 storey building to provide 23 new homes (6x 1 bed, 12 x 12 bed, 4 x 3 bed & 1 x 4 bed) including 7 no. affordable units and bicycle and car parking, refuse / recycling facilities, access, landscaping and amenity areas."
Wednesday 13 October 2010 9.52am
Design drawings here
http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/planningonline2/DocsOnline/Documents/118062_1.pdf

I thought that it was the industrial units where the publishers are located, but it is the industrial units set further back, facing the side of 45 Alscot Road flats.
Wednesday 13 October 2010 9.59am
Planning statement here
http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/planningonline2/DocsOnline/Documents/118000_1.pdf

Definitely NOT student housing being proposed - 23 properties of which 16 will be sold, 4 will be "intermediate" purpose (does that mean shared ownership?) and 3 will be social rented. See page 7 for the breakdown.
Wednesday 13 October 2010 10.41am
Thanks for that. I'm a bit torn about it - The positives for the development are that homes would be probably better for the general tone of the area than the current depot. Also having more local people to support shops will aid the development and gentrification (yes, gentrification, RealSE1!) of the area, which would mean better shops (and maybe, yes maybe, a nice pub??)

However, the negative is that it does mean that our already stretched local services are going to even more stretched - Doctors appointments aren't exactly immediate even now, Spa Park would be even more rammed in the Summer and the buses would be even more difficult to squish yourself onto...

What does everyone else think?
Thursday 14 October 2010 9.22am
I've confirmed with Ronan O'Connor at Southwark Council that there is an error in the consultation letter we've received - the reference to 12 x 12 bed homes should read 12 x 2 bed homes - which obviously puts a different complexion on things! He tells me the Council is considering whether to reissue a corrected version of the consultation letter. I personally feel the Council has an absolute DUTY to do so: this is a legal process, and needs to be done to the letter of the law.
Saturday 16 October 2010 12.43pm
Gwynaethva wrote:
However, the negative is that it does mean that our already stretched local services are going to even more stretched - Doctors appointments aren't exactly immediate even now, Spa Park would be even more rammed in the Summer and the buses would be even more difficult to squish yourself onto...
What does everyone else think?

Afraid I don't see any negatives - I have no difficulty in getting a doctors appointment at either the Artesian or Decima Street. I never see Spa park rammed (I think it is great that people use the park), and the number 78 bus is going to be a double decker from today (yay!). Plus I like the fact that landscaping is part of the planning statement, and there will be 12 car parking spaces as well as bike storage for 28 bikes.
Saturday 16 October 2010 5.13pm
juanita wrote:
Afraid I don't see any negatives - I have no difficulty in getting a doctors appointment at either the Artesian or Decima Street. I never see Spa park rammed (I think it is great that people use the park), and the number 78 bus is going to be a double decker from today (yay!). Plus I like the fact that landscaping is part of the planning statement, and there will be 12 car parking spaces as well as bike storage for 28 bikes.

Really? The last time I made a Dr appt that wasn't an 'emergency' I had to wait over 2 weeks. In my experience, in the summer you can't sit in the park and read a paper without someone either playing football on top of you or coming and sitting 2 feet away. Perhaps I'm just comparing it to how it was before all the current development arrived.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: